Quantum Mechanics for Physics Undergrads: Where to Start?

• Thread starter poobar
  • Start date
In summary, for those interested in learning about quantum mechanics before taking a course, some recommended resources include textbooks such as Griffith's, Gasiorowicz's, or Townshend's, as well as the book "Understanding Quantum Physics" by Michel A. Morrison. However, for a more advanced introduction, the book "Quantum Mechanics Demystified" by David McMahon may also be a good option. Ultimately, it may be helpful to preview the textbook for the course and see which style or approach resonates best with the individual's learning style.
poobar
Hey all,
I am a current physics undergrad. Next semester I will be taking a course which covers quantum mechanics. I am really interested in the subject and want to do some reading and learning before I take the course. I am strong in calculus and I just completed a course in differential equations. Can you give me a good place to start/good website to read?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Your best bet is to probably buy your textbook early and crack it open.

As suggestions:

Griffith's is not a standard for QM, but it's a popular book. Unfortunately, it is lacking in its coverage of bra ket notation, which is very important.

Gasiorowicz is better with teaching bra-kets and operator algebra. However, it reads like a summary. I don't think it is anywhere near as well written as Griffiths.

I have also heard good things about Townshend's book, but have not read it myself.

in my opinion there are perfect book to start with Quantum physics and Quantum mechanics "understanding quantum physics to Michel A. Morrison" the book not shallow and not complicated

poobar said:
Hey all,
I am a current physics undergrad. Next semester I will be taking a course which covers quantum mechanics. I am really interested in the subject and want to do some reading and learning before I take the course. I am strong in calculus and I just completed a course in differential equations. Can you give me a good place to start/good website to read?

thanks

http://de.arxiv.org/abs/0810.1019

A. Neumaier said:

This reference seems way too advanced to use as an introduction to quantum mechanics for an undergraduate.

The OP mentioned no background in group theory or lie algebras, only Calculus and Diff EQ.

However, it doesn't seem like a bad read for someone who already has some background in QM.

G01 said:
This reference seems way too advanced to use as an introduction to quantum mechanics for an undergraduate.

The OP mentioned no background in group theory or lie algebras, only Calculus and Diff EQ.

However, it doesn't seem like a bad read for someone who already has some background in QM.

The first half of the (free) book only needs elementary differential equations, the notion of partial derivatives, and some matrix calculus, no background in Lie algebras, groups, or quantum mechanics. (As mentioned at the beginning of Chapter 1, which refers to a little QM, readers can simply skip on first reading the details that are over their head.)

Lie algebras, Lie groups and quantum concepts are introduced, starting from scratch,
though of course some superficial familiarity with the basics would simplify the reading.
Moreover, there are lots of references to supplementary reading.

Things get advanced only in the last 40% of the book, starting with Part IV, where
some differential geometry and functional analysis is needed.

G01 said:
Gasiorowicz is better with teaching bra-kets and operator algebra. However, it reads like a summary. I don't think it is anywhere near as well written as Griffiths.

I think Gasiorowicz was possibly my least favorite text in my entire time as an undergrad. I don't like the organization, it is lacking on motivation and the "glue" which ties things together. I found it nearly impossible to learn from. We changed texts for the second semester because everybody hated the book. The second semester we used Bransden and Joachain, which nobody else has ever heard of. But it seemed much, much more logical and well organized to me.

I much prefer Bransden and Joachain to Griffiths, but the former use a little more math (Griffiths expects his readers are drooling math idiots).

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior of matter and energy on a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It explains how these particles interact with each other and with energy, and how they behave differently than classical objects.

2. Why is it important for physics undergrads to learn about quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a fundamental theory that helps us understand the behavior of matter and energy at a fundamental level. It is crucial for understanding many branches of physics, including particle physics, solid-state physics, and atomic and molecular physics. It also has many practical applications, such as in developing new technologies.

3. What are the key concepts in quantum mechanics that undergrads should focus on?

Some of the key concepts in quantum mechanics include wave-particle duality, superposition, uncertainty principle, and quantum entanglement. Undergrads should also focus on understanding the mathematical framework of quantum mechanics, such as the Schrödinger equation and operators.

4. How can undergrads begin learning about quantum mechanics?

A good starting point for learning about quantum mechanics is to have a solid understanding of classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and calculus. From there, undergrads can begin studying the main concepts and principles of quantum mechanics, either through textbooks, online resources, or courses. It is also helpful to engage in hands-on activities and thought experiments to aid in understanding the abstract concepts.

5. Are there any common misconceptions about quantum mechanics that undergrads should be aware of?

One common misconception about quantum mechanics is that it only applies to the microscopic world. However, quantum mechanics also plays a role in the behavior of larger objects, such as superconductors. Another misconception is that quantum mechanics is a complete and final theory, when in fact, it is still an active area of research with many unanswered questions.