Quantum Mechanics Problem. Help

In summary: We now haveH = - \frac{J}{2} ( (\bold{S_1} + \bold{S_2})^2 - (s_1 + s_2) (s_1 + s_2 + 1)) But this is identical to answer B, which is -J S_1 S_2. So we can't have two identical answers.
scorinaldi
Quantum Mechanics Problem. Help!

Hey gang,

This is a physicsGRE problem ( GR9677 question #77 ) that I have yet to see anyone answer well.

Please let me know if I'm not being clear. Here goes:

Question:

"Two ions, 1 and 2, at fixed separation, with spin angular momentum operators S_1 and S_2, have
the interaction Hamiltonian H = -JS_1 (dot) S_2, where J > 0.

The values of (S_1)^2 and (S_2)^2 are fixed at S_1(S_1 + 1) and S_2(S_2 + 1), respectively.
Which of the following is the energy of the ground state of the system?"

Ok, that's the question. The answer is:

-(J/2)[( S_1 + S_2)( S_1 + S_2 + 1) - S_1(S_1 + 1) - S_2(S_2 + 1)]

How did we get this answer? Can someone fill in the steps?

Physics news on Phys.org
...which is, by the way, simply E= -J*s_1*s_2. You can write this at the start if you see that the most negative energy will be when the spins align with each other and have the largest individual magnitudes in the z-direction (taking the states to be eigenstates of Sz), as in classical dipole problems.

A reminder of the rules, to all above, in case you haven't had a chance to read them yet:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=5374

NOTE: You MUST show that you have attempted to answer your question in order to receive help. You MUST make use of the homework template, which automatically appears when a new topic is created in the homework help forums.

We do not support cheating in any form: Do not ask for solution manuals, answers to exams, or instructor's manuals.

On helping with questions: Any and all assistance given to homework assignments or textbook style exercises should be given only after the questioner has shown some effort in solving the problem. If no attempt is made then the questioner should be asked to provide one before any assistance is given. Under no circumstances should complete solutions be provided to a questioner, whether or not an attempt has been made.

Thanks, and welcome to PF.

Last edited:
a bit of explanation

hi gokul,

this problem was not assigned to me ( or anyone else ) for homework. it is a problem from a practice physics GRE from the 90's where the answers were distributed by ETS.

the distributed packet is here: ( http://phys.columbia.edu/~hbar/Physics-GRE.pdf )

answers and discussion of this particular problem, and all old physics GRE problems are freely available to anyone here: http://grephysics.net/ans/9677/77

i apologize if i posted this in the wrong forum, in that it is not homework. I just wanted to get another insight into ways to arrive at the problem besides the one given on the Physics GRE bulletin boards.

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
scorinaldi said:
hi gokul,

this problem was not assigned to me ( or anyone else ) for homework. it is a problem from a practice physics GRE from the 90's where the answers were distributed by ETS.

the distributed packet is here: ( http://phys.columbia.edu/~hbar/Physics-GRE.pdf )

answers and discussion of this particular problem, and all old physics GRE problems are freely available to anyone here: http://grephysics.net/ans/9677/77

i apologize if i posted this in the wrong forum, in that it is not homework. I just wanted to get another insight into ways to arrive at the problem besides the one given on the Physics GRE bulletin boards.

thanks

It doesn't really matter where the question comes from. When it is the TYPE that involves working out a solution, the rules apply and it belongs on this forum.

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:

scorinaldi said:
Ok, that's the question. The answer is:

-(J/2)[( S_1 + S_2)( S_1 + S_2 + 1) - S_1(S_1 + 1) - S_2(S_2 + 1)]

How did we get this answer? Can someone fill in the steps?

I'm having problems with this question too, even though I've checked the grephysics.net page and this thread at physicsgre.com, not to mention this thread. The issue is that if [tex]S_1[/tex] and [tex]S_2[/tex] are scalars, then when you carry out the multiplication this answer (D) is identical to answer B, which is [tex]-J S_1 S_2[/tex], and we can't have two identical answers.

Here's some work, borrowing heavily from the grephysics.net site:

We start with:
[tex]H = -J \bold{S_1} \cdot \bold{S_2}[/tex]
Using the identity
[tex]\bold{a} \cdot \bold{b} = \frac{1}{2} ( (\bold{a} + \bold{b})^2 - a^2 - b^2 ) [/tex]
we get
[tex]H = - \frac{J}{2} ( (\bold{S_1} + \bold{S_2})^2 - (S_1)^2 - (S_2)^2 ) [/tex]

Now, [tex](S_1)^2 \psi = s_1 (s_1 + 1) \psi[/tex], and the same goes for [tex]S_2[/tex], where I use lowercase s for eigenvalues, a non-bold uppercase S for non-vector operators, and a bold uppercase [tex]\bold{S}[/tex] for vector operators. We now have

[tex]H = - \frac{J}{2} ( (\bold{S_1} + \bold{S_2})^2 - s_1 (s_1 + 1) - s_2 (s_2 + 1)) [/tex]

Finally, a comment on the physicsgre.net site says that
[tex](\bold{S_1} + \bold{S_2})^2[/tex]
becomes
[tex](s_1 + s_2) (s_1 + s_2 + 1)[/tex]
and thus we get answer D. (I don't understand this step too well.) But the problem is, as I've stated above, if the S_1 and S_2 values are scalars, then answer B and answer D are identical. The answer is supposed to be an energy, rather than a Hamiltonian. Is the problem wrong or are answers B and D supposed to be different?

I don't have access to the full question, but here's what I gather:

first, the problem is clearly about how to add two angular momenta. The answer D is indeed correct: the total angular momentum of the two systems together lies between
two values (look them up in your textbook!), and the maximum possible value gives rise to the lowest energy.

second, if answer B is in fact what it is claimed to be here (as I said, I haven't seen the full question) then that is the same answer. So, someone screwed up the question in that case.

1. What is quantum mechanics and why is it important?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It is important because it helps us understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of the universe at a microscopic level.

2. What are some common problems encountered in quantum mechanics?

Some common problems in quantum mechanics include the behavior of particles in a potential well, the measurement problem, and the uncertainty principle. Other problems may involve calculating probabilities, wave-particle duality, and the quantum states of multiple particles.

3. What are some helpful strategies for solving quantum mechanics problems?

Some helpful strategies for solving quantum mechanics problems include understanding the fundamental concepts and equations, visualizing the problem using diagrams or graphs, breaking the problem down into smaller parts, and practicing with different types of problems to improve problem-solving skills.

4. What are some common misconceptions about quantum mechanics?

Some common misconceptions about quantum mechanics include the belief that it only applies to very small objects, that it is purely theoretical and has no practical applications, and that it can explain all mysteries of the universe. In reality, quantum mechanics has been successfully applied to many real-world technologies such as transistors, lasers, and MRI machines, but it also has limitations and does not provide a complete understanding of the world.

5. How can I learn more about quantum mechanics and improve my problem-solving skills?

To learn more about quantum mechanics, you can read textbooks, attend lectures or online courses, and practice solving problems. It is also helpful to discuss and exchange ideas with other students or experts in the field. Additionally, staying updated with current research and developments in quantum mechanics can provide a deeper understanding of the subject. Regular practice and persistence are key to improving problem-solving skills in quantum mechanics.