Quantum Mechanics Square Well Potential Problem

So that can't be right. The Ramsauer-Townsend Effect is the scattering of particles off of a potential well. In summary, using the given information of a beam of neutrons incident on a nucleus, the observed consecutive transmission maxima for specific beam energies and treating the nucleus as a one-dimensional square-well potential, we can determine the width and depth of the potential. However, more information is needed and the Ramsauer-Townsend Effect may need to be applied in order to obtain accurate values.
icantsee99

Homework Statement

A beam of neutrons (m=1.675x10-27kg) is incident on a nucleus. Consecutive transmission maxima are observed for beam energies of 1.15, 23.656, and 50.254 MeV. Treating the nucleus as a one-dimensional square-well potential:
(a) What is the width of the potential? (ans. 10 fm)
(b) What is the depth of the potential? (ans. 10 MeV)
The observations are related to the Ramsauer-Townsend Effect

Homework Equations

E = (n2h2)/(8ma2)) -V0

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged in the mass and energies into the equations, using n=1 for E = 1.15 MeV and n=2 for E = 23.656 MeV. I ended up with

(3.51x1040)a2=-V0
(1.81x1041)a2=-V0

I know that I need another equation, but I don't know what to use. We also never learned the Ramsauer-Townsend Effect in class, so I'm not sure how to apply it. Any input would be appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
icantsee99 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged in the mass and energies into the equations, using n=1 for E = 1.15 MeV and n=2 for E = 23.656 MeV. I ended up with

(3.51x1040)a2=-V0
(1.81x1041)a2=-V0

I know that I need another equation, but I don't know what to use. We also never learned the Ramsauer-Townsend Effect in class, so I'm not sure how to apply it. Any input would be appreciated!
Check your algebra. The solution to those two equations is a=0, V0=0.

1. What is a square well potential in quantum mechanics?

A square well potential is a theoretical model used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of a particle inside a potential well. It consists of a potential barrier that is constant within a well region and infinite outside of the well. This model is often used to study the behavior of particles in a confined space, such as an atom or a nucleus.

2. How does the depth of the square well potential affect the behavior of the particle?

The depth of the square well potential directly affects the energy levels and wave function of the particle. A deeper well will have a larger number of energy levels and a more confined wave function, while a shallower well will have fewer energy levels and a more spread out wave function.

3. What is the significance of the finite square well potential in quantum mechanics?

The finite square well potential is a more realistic model compared to the infinite square well, as it allows for the possibility of the particle tunneling through the potential barrier. This concept is important in understanding the behavior of particles in confined spaces, such as in semiconductor devices.

4. Can the square well potential problem be solved analytically?

Yes, the square well potential problem can be solved analytically using mathematical methods such as the Schrödinger equation and boundary conditions. However, for more complex potentials, numerical methods may be used to approximate the solution.

5. How is the square well potential problem related to the uncertainty principle?

The square well potential problem demonstrates the concept of energy quantization, where the particle can only have certain discrete energy levels. This is related to the uncertainty principle, as the more precisely we know the energy of the particle, the less precisely we know its position, and vice versa.