Quantum operators: Where to start?

In summary, this conversation is about finding the momentum of a particle in space. The operator is defined by the following equations: \frac{d}{dt} \mathbf{\bar{r}} = \left< \psi | \mathbf{\hat{v}} | \psi \right> and \mathbf{\bar{r}} = \left< \psi | \mathbf{\hat{r}} | \psi \right>. The relation between the operators is that \mathbf{\hat{v}} = \frac{\mathbf{\hat{p}}}{m}. The momentum operator is given by \mathbf{\hat{p}} = -i \hbar \nabla. This
divB
Hello!

I have a task to do where I do not know where to start or where to find more information.

At first, this is just the problem statement:

Velocity operator [tex]\mathbf{\hat{v}}[/tex] is defined by the following equations:

[tex]\frac{d}{dt} \mathbf{\bar{r}} = \left< \psi | \mathbf{\hat{v}} | \psi \right>[/tex]

[tex]\mathbf{\bar{r}} = \left< \psi | \mathbf{\hat{r}} | \psi \right>[/tex]

where [tex]\mathbf{\hat{r}}[/tex] is the position operator (just the coordinate [tex]\mathbf{r}[/tex] itself). Show that the following relation holds between the operators:

[tex]\mathbf{\hat{v}} = \frac{\mathbf{\hat{p}}}{m}[/tex]

(momentum operator [tex]\mathbf{\hat{p}}[/tex] is given by [tex]\mathbf{\hat{p}} = -i \hbar \nabla[/tex])

I do not understand what the momentum has to do with that. I tried around a while with the integral-definitions of the operators but was not successful. At the moment I have absolutely no idea where to start.

Can anybody give me a hint?

Also some literature which might help me would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you very much and Regards,
divB

Physics news on Phys.org
Two operators are equal iff they have the same effect on all kets.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Anyway I think I found a source where it is derived:

* http://de.wikibooks.org/wiki/Quantenmechanik#Der_Impulsoperator

But - for sure - I do not really understand the derivation :-( Maybe somebody can help me with that?

First question: Why is

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\int \psi^* r \psi\,dr = \int \psi^* r \frac{d}{dt}\psi + \psi r \frac{d}{dt}\psi^*\,d r[/tex]

?

(For the sake of simplicity I take only scalars - I hope this does not harm the generalization)

divB

That's your old buddy, the chain rule...
Hurky is telling you what to do. Try applying the operators to the psi ket vector to show that they give the same result.

Hi,

Thank you very much! I just wanted to write that I got it, really dumb easy :-) Thank you anyway.

About Hurky's hint: Aaah, now understand what he meant. But I think this is exactly what I am doing now: I start with the derivation of the [tex]\mathbf{\hat{r}}[/tex] (as this is v!) and the result should and will be something proportional to p with factor m. Of course this is true if I replace

[tex]-i\hbar\nabla = \mathbf{\hat{p}}[/tex]

in the final equation :-) So I have shown that both are the same.

But I think there is just one piece of mathematics missing for me to understand:

How to come from

[tex]\frac{\hbar}{2mi} \left[-\int d^3r \psi^*(\vec{r},t) \vec{r} \Delta\psi(\vec{r},t)+\psi(\vec{r},t) \vec{r} \Delta\psi^*(\vec{r},t)\right][/tex]

to

[tex]\frac{\hbar}{2mi} \left[-\int \vec{f}\left(\psi^*\vec{r}\vec\nabla\psi-\psi\vec{r}\vec\nabla\psi^*\right) + \int d^3r \left(\vec\nabla\psi^*\vec{r}\right)\vec\nabla\psi - \int d^3r\left(\vec\nabla\psi\vec{r}\right)\vec\nabla\psi^* \right][/tex]

Thank you again,
divB

1. What are quantum operators?

Quantum operators are mathematical entities that describe the properties and behavior of quantum systems. They are used to represent physical observables, such as position, momentum, and energy, and to perform calculations in quantum mechanics.

2. How do quantum operators work?

Quantum operators act on quantum states, which are represented by mathematical objects called wave functions. When an operator acts on a wave function, it produces a new wave function that describes the system's state after the operator has been applied.

3. What is the significance of quantum operators?

Quantum operators are essential tools in understanding and predicting the behavior of quantum systems. They allow us to calculate the probabilities of different outcomes for measurements, and they reveal important information about the system's energy levels and dynamics.

4. Where can I learn more about quantum operators?

There are many resources available for learning about quantum operators, including textbooks, online courses, and research papers. It is recommended to have a strong foundation in linear algebra and quantum mechanics before delving into the specifics of quantum operators.

5. How can I apply quantum operators in my research?

The applications of quantum operators are vast and diverse, ranging from quantum computing and cryptography to quantum chemistry and materials science. If you are interested in using quantum operators in your research, it is best to consult with experts in the field and stay updated on the latest developments in quantum technology.