How Does Electron Wavelength Affect Two-Slit Experiment Outcomes?

In summary, we discussed a two-slit experiment using electrons, where the slits are assumed to be very narrow compared to the wavelength of the electrons. At the center detector, directly in the path of the beam, 100 electrons per second are detected. The minimum is reached when the detector angle is determined using the Bragg equation. When one of the slits is blocked, the number of electrons detected at the center detector is halved. And when one of the slits is narrowed to 36% of its original width, the number of electrons detected per second at the center detector decreases to 64 and at detector X decreases to 4.
pixiv

Homework Statement

Consider a two-slit experiment using electrons. The slits are assumed to be very narrow compared to the wave-length of the electrons. Beyond the slits is a bank of electron detectors. At the center detector, directly in the path the beam would follow if unobstructed, 100 electrons per second are detected. Suppose that as the detector angle varies, the number per unit time of electron’s arriving varies from a maximum of 100/s to a minimum of 0. Suppose the electrons have K = 1.0 eV of kinetic energy and the narrow slits are separated by 0.020 μm.
a/ At what angle is the detector X located where the minimum is reached ?
b/ How many electrons would be detected per second at the center detector if one of the slits were blocked?
c/ How many electrons would be detected per second at the center detector and at detector X if one of the slits were narrowed to 36% of its original width ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a/
Someone told me to use the Brag equation: 2dSinα=mλ
I don't understand why I have to use it in this problem.
But if I use this equation:
I have d=0.020.020 μm ; m=1 (minimum);
K->v->p->λ=[itex]\frac{h}{p}[/itex]
So I can figure out the α
b/
2 split:
|ψ|2≈100/s => |ψ|≈10/s
=> 1 split |ψ|≈5/s => |ψ|2≈25/s

c/
* At the center detector:
the narrow split ψ1:
=> |ψ1|2≈25/s*0.36=9/s
=> |ψ1|=3/s
=> the total=|ψ1|+|ψ2|=5+3
=> |ψT|2≈64/s
* At detector X:
1|-|ψ2|=5-3=2/s
=> |ψT|2≈4/s

I'm not sure that my solution is right. Please, help me to check it. Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your interesting question. Let me guide you through the solution to this problem step by step:

a/ The Bragg equation is used in this problem because it relates the angle at which the minimum is reached to the wavelength of the electrons and the distance between the slits. This equation is derived from the concept of constructive and destructive interference in a two-slit experiment. The minimum is reached when the path difference between the two waves from the two slits is equal to one wavelength. Therefore, we can use the Bragg equation to find the angle at which this occurs.

b/ When one of the slits is blocked, the number of electrons reaching the center detector will be halved. This is because the wave from the unblocked slit will be the only one contributing to the interference pattern. Therefore, instead of 100 electrons per second, we will only detect 50 electrons per second at the center detector.

c/ In this case, we have to consider the effect of narrowing one of the slits on the interference pattern. This will result in a decrease in the amplitude of the wave from that slit, leading to a decrease in the overall interference pattern. Therefore, at the center detector, the number of electrons detected per second will decrease from 100 to 64 (100*0.36+100*0.36*0.36=64). Similarly, at detector X, the number of electrons detected per second will decrease from 100 to 4 (100*0.36-100*0.36*0.36=4).

I hope this helps clarify the solution to this problem. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask. Keep up the good work in your studies!

1. What is quantum physics and why is it important?

Quantum physics is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It is important because it helps us understand the fundamental laws that govern the behavior of particles and how they interact with each other.

2. What are the key principles of quantum physics?

The key principles of quantum physics include superposition, entanglement, and wave-particle duality. Superposition refers to the ability of particles to exist in multiple states at the same time, entanglement is the phenomenon where particles become connected and share properties even when separated, and wave-particle duality is the idea that particles can behave as both waves and particles.

3. How does quantum physics relate to everyday life?

While quantum physics may seem abstract and complex, it has many practical applications in our daily lives. For example, it is the basis for many modern technologies such as transistors, lasers, and computer memory. It also helps us understand the behavior of materials and chemical reactions.

4. What are some common misconceptions about quantum physics?

One common misconception about quantum physics is that it only applies to the microscopic world and has no relevance to our everyday lives. In reality, quantum effects can be observed even in macroscopic systems. Another misconception is that quantum physics is completely random and chaotic, when in fact it follows strict mathematical laws and principles.

5. How can I apply quantum physics principles to solve homework problems?

To successfully solve quantum physics homework problems, it is important to have a strong understanding of the key principles and mathematical equations involved. It may also be helpful to practice problem-solving strategies and seek help from a tutor or professor if needed. It is also important to stay organized and pay attention to detail when working through problems.