How Does Path Difference Affect Interference Patterns in Light Waves?

In summary, the conversation discusses an interference pattern created by coherent light passing through a mask with two narrow slits. The points P and Q are maxima and point R is a minimum. The wavelength of the light is 699 nm, the slits are separated by 6 μm, and the distance from the slits to the center of the screen is 80 cm. The difference in path length at a point on the screen is ∆s = |s1 − s2|. The problem asks for the value of ∆s in nm at points P, Q, and R. The solution involves using the pythagorean theorem and considering the requirements for the maximum and minimum lines. The answers are ∆s =
luke949

Homework Statement

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/4605/lchuynh177setphys52awee.png

The figure shows the interference pattern that appears on a distant screen when coherent light is incident on a mask with two identical, very narrow slits. Points P and Q are maxima; Point R is a minimum. The wavelength of the light that created the interference pattern is λ = 699 nm, the two slites are separated by rm d = 6 μm, and the distance from the slits to the center of the screen is L = 80 cm . The difference in path length at a point on the screen is ∆s = |s1 − s2|, where s1 and s2 are the distances from each slit to the point.
1. What is ∆s (in nm) at Point P?
2. What is ∆s (in nm) at Point Q?
3. What is ∆s (in nm) at Point R?

Homework Equations

da=sqr(L^2+(D/2+d/2)^2)
db=sqr(L^2+(D/2-d/2)^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the answer to the first problem is 0.
But i tried plugging in da=sqr(80^2+(699-3)^2) and I am getting it wrong. I tried converting all the units to nm, but then the equation just turns into sqr(80nm^2) because the second term turns into a number close to zero.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
luke949 said:

Homework Statement

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/4605/lchuynh177setphys52awee.png

The figure shows the interference pattern that appears on a distant screen when coherent light is incident on a mask with two identical, very narrow slits. Points P and Q are maxima; Point R is a minimum. The wavelength of the light that created the interference pattern is λ = 699 nm, the two slites are separated by rm d = 6 μm, and the distance from the slits to the center of the screen is L = 80 cm . The difference in path length at a point on the screen is ∆s = |s1 − s2|, where s1 and s2 are the distances from each slit to the point.
1. What is ∆s (in nm) at Point P?
2. What is ∆s (in nm) at Point Q?
3. What is ∆s (in nm) at Point R?

Homework Equations

da=sqr(L^2+(D/2+d/2)^2)
db=sqr(L^2+(D/2-d/2)^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the answer to the first problem is 0.
But i tried plugging in da=sqr(80^2+(699-3)^2) and I am getting it wrong. I tried converting all the units to nm, but then the equation just turns into sqr(80nm^2) because the second term turns into a number close to zero.

No geometry/trigonometry is necessary.

Think about the requirements for those particular maximum and minimum lines!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmm I am almost positive that the pythagorean Theorem must be used. I can't really see it any way. what do you mean by requirements?

Is the answers 1) 0, 2) 699nm, 3) 1048.85? I believe that the the center is a maxima and Q is the next maxima so that is one full wavelength. R is a minima right after the first maxima so it is 699+349.5 = 1048.85nm. Please get back to me thank you.

luke949 said:
is the answers 1) 0, 2) 699nm, 3) 1048.85? I believe that the the center is a maxima and q is the next maxima so that is one full wavelength. R is a minima right after the first maxima so it is 699+349.5 = 1048.85nm. Please get back to me thank you.

exactly! They ask for path difference, and the maxima and minima occur for specific path differences

EDIT: I am in East Coast Australia, so time differences will explain any delay in this response.

1. What is interference?

Interference is a phenomenon that occurs when two or more waves meet and combine in such a way that their amplitudes either reinforce or cancel each other out. This can result in a change in the overall amplitude, frequency, or direction of the resulting wave.

2. How does interference occur?

Interference occurs when two or more waves with the same frequency and amplitude overlap in space. The resulting interference pattern is determined by the relative phase difference between the waves, which can be either constructive or destructive.

3. What are the types of interference?

There are two types of interference: constructive and destructive. Constructive interference occurs when two waves combine to produce a larger amplitude, while destructive interference occurs when two waves cancel each other out and produce a smaller or no amplitude.

4. What are some real-life examples of interference?

Interference can be observed in many natural phenomena, such as the colors in a soap bubble, the patterns on a CD, or the shimmering of heat waves in the air. It also plays a crucial role in technologies like radio communication, where different radio waves can interfere with each other.

5. How is interference used in science and technology?

Interference is used in many fields of science and technology, including optics, acoustics, and electronics. It is essential in creating devices like lasers, holograms, and antennas. Interference is also used in medical imaging techniques like ultrasound and MRI to create detailed images of the body's internal structures.