Exploring Quantum Physics: Proving E=hf

In summary, the formula E = hf for quantum physics was initially taken as an assumption before further theoretical developments were made. It was later derived from experimentation and is considered an axiom in the context of matter waves. Other constants and formulae in physics have also not yet been deduced from first principles.
killer120
then i want to know how to prove E=hf without any assumption but with our basic physics knowledge to prove the formula is actually explaining quantum physics theory....i still blur about the formula for quantum physics...thanks if someone help me out!

Physics news on Phys.org
In principle, you could "derive" it from other stuff, either using a Shrodinger-like equation, or a correspondance principle + symmetry arguments "a la Noether"... well. But I think that would not be fair. The formula was taken as an assumption, then we built a lot of stuff considering it correct, then we come up with 20-50 years of theoretical deepening, quantum gauge fields etc... and then we can come back and claim to derive [itex]E=h\nu[/itex]. Looks pretty much like cheating to me... Are you researching something new in the foundation of quantum mechanics ?

The formula, as my understanding goes, was derived from experimentation. It is like a physics axiom. I have done this experiment myself and I found h to a good number of decimal places. I can't think of a way to derive it from classical physics though. Will have a think and probably realize it was simple all along. :biggrin:

The Bob

The equation E = hf can be empirically deduced for light waves with a simple photoelectric experiment. I think I even did it once back in college. In the context of quantum mechanics, this is taken as an assumption in the case of matter waves. Basically we just assume that matter waves behave like light waves. And from this, as well as the de Broglie relation, we get the Schrodinger Equation and all of quantum mechanics.

Simple:

[tex]E=hc/\lambda[/tex]
[tex]c=\nu\lambda[/tex]
so [tex]E=h\nu[/tex]

Planck derived his constant from experiment, as described here: - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck's_constant

Some other constants and formulae we use in physics have not yet been deduced from first priciples.
Newton's laws.
Maxwell's equations.
The Schrodinger equation.

Related to Exploring Quantum Physics: Proving E=hf

What is quantum physics?

Quantum physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy on a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It is based on the principles of quantum mechanics and has led to groundbreaking discoveries and technologies.

What does E=hf mean in quantum physics?

E=hf is a mathematical equation that represents the relationship between energy (E) and frequency (f) in quantum physics. It is known as the Planck-Einstein relation and states that the energy of a photon is directly proportional to its frequency.

What is the significance of proving E=hf?

Proving E=hf is significant because it confirms the fundamental principles of quantum physics and helps us better understand the behavior of matter and energy on a microscopic scale. It also has practical applications in fields such as electronics, telecommunications, and energy production.

How was E=hf first proven?

E=hf was first proven by German physicist Max Planck in 1900 through his study of blackbody radiation. He proposed that energy is quantized, meaning it can only exist in discrete units, and derived the equation E=hf to explain the relationship between energy and frequency.

What are the implications of E=hf in modern physics?

E=hf has many implications in modern physics, including the development of quantum mechanics and the understanding of phenomena such as the photoelectric effect and atomic structure. It also plays a crucial role in technologies such as lasers, solar cells, and transistors.