Quantum Question (dirac notation)

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of probability and wavefunctions in quantum mechanics. The coefficients in front of each term in equation 2.1 represent the probability of finding the particle in that state. The probability of finding the particle in a state less than 2.5 is represented by the coefficients squared and added together. The mean value of energy can be calculated by summing En P(En) over all energies or by using the formula <psi|H|psi>. Multiplying every state by e^-iEn/ht does not change the results for parts (a) and (b). After a measurement, the system will remain in the state it was measured in unless it is perturbed.
bon

Homework Statement

Please see attached :)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hmm ok so stuck on all parts really..starting with (a), i see that we are looking for the probability that it is in state Eroot6 i.e. |root6>

but how do we work this out? It's not a state of well defined energy so we can't just premultiply by the bra <root6| can we?

Sorry if I am being slow, we've only just started QM :(

Attachments

• quantum1.pdf
    172 KB · Views: 823
Physics news on Phys.org
According to the statistical interpretation of quantum mechanics, what is the meaning of each of the coefficients in front of each term in equation 2.1?

If you were to measure what state particle was in, you'd find it in one of those states, not a mixture. The probability of finding it in one of the states is given by the coefficient of the state squared.

Root 6 is about 2.5. So the question is asking you what the probability is of finding the particle in a state less than 2.5. What is the probability of finding the particle in either the n=1 or n=2 state?

oh i see okay thanks. So is it 0.2^2 + 0.3^2? i.e. P(finding it in state 1) + P(finding it in state 2)?

JesseC said:
If you were to measure what state particle was in, you'd find it in one of those states, not a mixture. The probability of finding it in one of the states is given by the coefficient of the state squared.

Root 6 is about 2.5. So the question is asking you what the probability is of finding the particle in a state less than 2.5. What is the probability of finding the particle in either the n=1 or n=2 state?

sorry just thought id quote you so you could respond to my q above

thanks

bon said:
oh i see okay thanks. So is it 0.2^2 + 0.3^2? i.e. P(finding it in state 1) + P(finding it in state 2)?

To the best of my physics knowledge that is correct :D So long as we're independent of time.

You can confirm that the probability of finding the particle in at least one of those states is 1... if you square and then add all the coefficients you will get 1.

Thanks okay! I'm now trying to do (b),(c),(d)

(b) : To work out mean value of energy i know i just work out the sum of En P(En) over all energies right? But how do i derive this from just the knowledge that the mean value of energy is <psi|H|psi> ?

(c): So i know i just multiply every state by e^-iEn/h t Do (a) and (b) stay the same?

(d): The system is in state |4> and it will stay in this state? Is this right??

hellooo?

Sorry, I don't have time at the moment to look over the rest of the questions. Have you tried a textbook for help?

I am preparing for exams and a lab report :( hopefully someone else can help you.

okkkk no worries..anyone else??

bon said:
Thanks okay! I'm now trying to do (b),(c),(d)

(b) : To work out mean value of energy i know i just work out the sum of En P(En) over all energies right? But how do i derive this from just the knowledge that the mean value of energy is <psi|H|psi> ?
What is H|ψ> equal to?
(c): So i know i just multiply every state by e^-iEn/h t Do (a) and (b) stay the same?
Can you think of a reason that they should not stay the same?
(d): The system is in state |4> and it will stay in this state? Is this right??
What is the wavefunction of the system after the measurement? If you understand part (a) and given that wavefunction, what is the probability that the system will be found in states |1>, |2> and |3>?

kuruman said:
Can you think of a reason that they should not stay the same?

No i guess they are the same then?

kuruman said:
What is the wavefunction of the system after the measurement? If you understand part (a) and given that wavefunction, what is the probability that the system will be found in states |1>, |2> and |3>?

Well after the measurement the state of the system is surely |4>. Won't it stay there?

bon said:
No i guess they are the same then?
You guess right.
Well after the measurement the state of the system is surely |4>. Won't it stay there?
It will unless you perturb it. Note that you can write this state as 0*|1>+0*|2>+0*|3>+1*|4>.

What is Dirac notation?

Dirac notation, also known as bra-ket notation, is a mathematical notation used to represent quantum states and operations in quantum mechanics. It was introduced by physicist Paul Dirac in the 1930s and has become an essential tool in the study of quantum mechanics.

How is Dirac notation different from traditional mathematical notation?

Dirac notation uses a combination of angled brackets, or "bras" and "kets," to represent vectors and operators in quantum mechanics. These symbols are not used in traditional mathematical notation, where vectors are typically represented by boldface letters or arrows.

What do the symbols in Dirac notation represent?

The "bra" and "ket" symbols represent two different types of vectors in quantum mechanics. The "bra" vector, denoted by <a|, represents a row vector, while the "ket" vector, denoted by |b>, represents a column vector. Together, they form an inner product <a|b>, which is used to calculate the probability of transitioning from one quantum state to another.

How is Dirac notation used in quantum mechanics?

Dirac notation is used to represent quantum states, operators, and measurements in a concise and elegant manner. It allows for the easy manipulation and calculation of complex quantum systems, making it an essential tool in the study of quantum mechanics. It is also used in the development of quantum algorithms and in the analysis of quantum information.

Is Dirac notation the only way to represent quantum states and operations?

No, Dirac notation is not the only way to represent quantum states and operations. Other common notations include matrix representation, state vector representation, and wave function representation. However, Dirac notation is widely used and preferred by many physicists and mathematicians due to its simplicity and versatility.