Quantum Question: Max Kin Energy & Speed of Electron

• Thread starter DarkKnight911
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quantum
In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of maximum kinetic energy and speed of an emitted electron when light with a wavelength of 600 nm is directed at a metallic surface with a work function of 1.6 eV and a retarding potential of 0.5 V is applied. The equation used to calculate the maximum kinetic energy is provided, but there is a question about how to approach finding the maximum speed. The responder suggests considering the conservation of energy and asks a guiding question about potential energy.
DarkKnight911

Homework Statement

Light with a wavelength 600 nm is directed at a mettalic surface with a work function of 1.6 eV. A retarding potential of 0.5 V is applied. Determine:
a) The maximum kinetic energy, in joules, of an emitted electron before the retarding potential is applied.
b) The maximum speed with which an electron reaches the far side after the retarding potential is applied.

Homework Equations

[/B]
Kinetic Energy = hf - w

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the above equation to figure out "a" but, I do not know where to begin question "b."

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

The energy of the electron is conserved during its flight. Retarding potential means that it travels toward an electrode at negative potential with respect to the metallic surface. How much does the potential energy of the electron change?

Oh I see but can you please do it for me I just want a solid example to follow in the future.

DarkKnight911 said:
Oh I see but can you please do it for me I just want a solid example to follow in the future.
I can not do it for you, the rules of the Forums forbid it. We only can lead you.

Do you know what is the potential energy of a charge q at a point with potential U?

For part b), we can use the equation for kinetic energy to find the maximum speed of the electron. First, we need to find the maximum kinetic energy of the electron before the retarding potential is applied. This can be found using the equation:

Kinetic Energy = hf - w

where h is Planck's constant (6.626 x 10^-34 J*s) and f is the frequency of the light, which can be found using the equation:

f = c/λ

where c is the speed of light (3.00 x 10^8 m/s) and λ is the wavelength of the light (600 nm = 6.00 x 10^-7 m).

So, we have:

f = (3.00 x 10^8 m/s)/ (6.00 x 10^-7 m) = 5.00 x 10^14 Hz

Now, we can plug this into the equation for kinetic energy:

Kinetic Energy = (6.626 x 10^-34 J*s)(5.00 x 10^14 Hz) - (1.6 eV)(1.602 x 10^-19 J/eV) = 4.20 x 10^-19 J

This is the maximum kinetic energy of the electron before the retarding potential is applied.

To find the maximum speed of the electron after the retarding potential is applied, we can use the equation for kinetic energy again:

Kinetic Energy = 1/2 mv^2

where m is the mass of the electron (9.11 x 10^-31 kg) and v is the velocity of the electron.

We already know the value for kinetic energy from part a), so we can plug that in and solve for v:

4.20 x 10^-19 J = 1/2 (9.11 x 10^-31 kg) v^2

Solving for v, we get:

v = 1.40 x 10^6 m/s

So, the maximum speed with which the electron reaches the far side after the retarding potential is applied is 1.40 x 10^6 m/s.

1. What is the maximum kinetic energy of an electron in quantum mechanics?

The maximum kinetic energy of an electron in quantum mechanics is dependent on the energy level it is in. The higher the energy level, the higher the maximum kinetic energy. However, the maximum kinetic energy of an electron is also limited by the energy of the system it is in, such as an atom or molecule.

2. How is the maximum kinetic energy of an electron calculated in quantum mechanics?

The maximum kinetic energy of an electron can be calculated using the formula Kmax = E - E0, where E is the energy of the system and E0 is the ground state energy. This formula takes into account the energy level the electron is in and the energy of the system.

3. Can the speed of an electron in quantum mechanics exceed the speed of light?

No, the speed of an electron in quantum mechanics cannot exceed the speed of light. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which any particle can travel. This applies to electrons as well, even in the quantum realm.

4. What is the relationship between the speed of an electron and its kinetic energy in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the speed of an electron is directly proportional to its kinetic energy. This means that as the kinetic energy of an electron increases, its speed also increases. However, this relationship is limited by the maximum kinetic energy that the electron can have in a given system.

5. How does the Heisenberg uncertainty principle affect the maximum kinetic energy and speed of an electron in quantum mechanics?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that the more accurately we know the position of a particle, the less accurately we know its momentum (and vice versa). This means that the maximum kinetic energy and speed of an electron cannot be determined with absolute certainty in quantum mechanics, as doing so would violate this principle. Instead, we can only determine a range of values for these quantities.