What happens to an electron's quantum state after measurement?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of quantum state transition, which refers to the change in the state of a system due to a perturbation. This can be observed when measuring the state of the system, and the transition probability between two states is proportional to the perturbation responsible for the transition. It is also mentioned that the system can evolve deterministically according to the Schrodinger equation if no measurement is made. The conversation also touches on the idea that the initial and final states are superpositions of eigenstates of the Hamiltonian, and this is known as Fermi's Golden Rule. There is also a mention of differing views on this concept, such as the Copenhagen interpretation.
amedeo_fisi
Hello everyone.
Can someone explains me the meaning of quantum state transition?
For example consider an electron which is in the superposition of two energy eigenstates of a given hamiltonian, now, if no one perturbs the state with a measure, nothing happens and the superposition remains the same for all the time. Suppose you had been able to measure one of the states, this means that the electron decays in that state and it remains there if no perturbation is applied on the system and you have all the probability on that state, am I right? If so, I think this is described by the fact that the two states are orthogonal.
Consider the case where the wave function is a dirac delta in 0 with the hamiltonian of the free particle, what happens theorically after you made the measure of the position? The state remains the same or it evolves spontaneously?

Physics news on Phys.org
A position eigenstate of a free particle is not an eigenstate of the Hamiltonian of a free particle. Therefore, the state will evolve. You can see this with Gaussian wave packets that spread out with time.

So I conlude that there is a transition probability between the position eigenstates, does it have any sense?
Does the probability transition have anything to do with time?

I've never heard "transition" used in that way, as it usually refers to discrete states.

What is meant by transition probability between two sates? Physically speaking.

The transition probability between states ##|i\rangle## and ##|f\rangle## is the probability per unit of time that a system initially in state ##|i\rangle## will be found in state ##|f\rangle##. It is proportional to ##\left| \langle f | \hat{W} i \rangle \right|^2##, where ##\hat{W}## is the perturbation responsible for the transition.

Likes Symmetry777
Just to add to DrClaude's remarks - when a probability is used in quantum mechanics, it is ultimately always in the context of measurement. If no measurement is made, the system evolves deterministically according to the Shroedinger equation.

Likes Symmetry777
Does the fact that there is a non zero transition probability between two states imply that the state of the system is a superposition of them?

Last edited:
amedeo_fisi said:
Does the fact that there is a non zero transition probability between two states imply that the state of the system is a superposition of them?
Yes. The original (initial and final) states that are considered are those of the unperturbed Hamiltonian. But the initial and final states are superpositions of eigenstates of the Hamiltonian including the perturbation. Often, the perturbation applies for a finite amount of time, hence it makes sense to talk about the problem in terms of unperturbed states.

Likes bhobba
Just to add a bit more detail to Dr Claude's excellent reply, this is what's called Fermi's Golden Rule:
http://moleng.physics.upatras.gr/personnel/Koukaras/download/FermiGR.pdf

Of interest is the interpretive aspect of it and the quote from Ballentine.

Don't agree with Ballentine adopts a view that's different to the orthodox one (presumably Copenhagen) but that would be a whole new thread and I don't want to derail this one.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a quantum state transition?

A quantum state transition refers to the change of a quantum system from one quantum state to another. This can occur due to external stimuli or interactions with other particles.

2. How is a quantum state transition different from a classical state transition?

A quantum state transition is different from a classical state transition because it involves the principles of quantum mechanics, such as superposition and entanglement, which do not apply to classical systems.

3. What are the factors that can affect a quantum state transition?

The factors that can affect a quantum state transition include the energy levels of the system, the types of particles involved, and the interactions between them. These factors can determine the probability and speed of the transition.

4. Can quantum state transitions be controlled?

Yes, quantum state transitions can be controlled through various techniques such as manipulating the energy levels of the system, applying external fields, and using quantum gates. These methods allow for precise control and manipulation of the quantum state transitions.

5. What are the applications of quantum state transitions?

Quantum state transitions have many applications, including in quantum computing, cryptography, and quantum communication. They can also be used for simulating complex quantum systems and studying quantum phenomena.