Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum teleportation

1. Nov 4, 2003 #1
    Quantum teleportation......

Dear reader,
    I was just wondering weather Quantum teleportation would ever come into existance. I believe it will be like an fax machine. I will be happy if some one would be happy to discuss this topic.
    All For God.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2003 #2

Science Advisor

Do you mean like large-scale? Not sure if you've heard, but quantum teleprotation of a few photons has already been done. Pretty exiting stuff!

As for teleporting human-sized objects (like for example; HUMANS!), not in my lifetime. Probably not in the lifetime of our youngest member. But I feel certrain that someday we will do it, just because it is the sort of challenge we Homosapiens can't walk away from 'till we've licked it.
  4. Nov 4, 2003 #3

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's almost impossible to use quantum telelportation for any practical use, I highly doubt that it could ever be used to teleport any macroscopic object as you still have all the problems of classical teleportation (i.e. that is if you were to ignore quantum effects), plus a few more created by quantum effects. Perhaps I am being overly-pesimistic but it's so hard to see a way around these problems.
  5. Nov 5, 2003 #4
    i feel.................

I read about the teleportation of Photons in Australia. Even if teleportation comes in to existence I believe that many would not be interested to use it because it would destroy the original and create a copy of it. So eventually the original will be destroyed. Quantum teleportation will be impossible without a computer better than the super computers we have.

6. Nov 5, 2003 #5
    I think the problem that arises with teleporting a large sum of atoms, like ourselves, is decoherence.
    Paden Roder
  7. Nov 5, 2003 #6
    Quantum Teleportation

"QT" Would not be a viable means of travel. However we might be able to set up a telegraph style messaging service for real time communications within our own solar system.
  8. Nov 6, 2003 #7
    What do you mean decoherence?

We all are here for knowledge.
  9. Nov 8, 2003 #8

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Probably the biggest problem of many. all QT really does is to get rid of any problems that would be caused by the 'no clone theorum' in quantum mechanics, you still have neraly all the problems you would have if you were going to consider teleporting from a non-quantum point of view.

Ironsun, I don't see how QT could be used for communications as it requires that you have a classical method of communication in order for it to work.
  10. Nov 28, 2003 #9
    I have heard that the protons weren't actually transported, but they were exactly replicated in 2 different places. Meaning mirror images of the photon, which can't be independent of each other.. maybe I'm wrong, but I will research it and get back..
  11. Dec 22, 2003 #10
    the communication is something that interests me though. I dont have a huge physics background to understand the nueances of what ive heard but what is all this about taking two particles, seperating them huge distances, and then having both know theyre spin?

this is totally a side topic but wouldnt that be the instant solution for our communication problems if we ever go to mars,etc?

12. Dec 22, 2003 #11

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Welcome to the Physics Forums, Mythios!

We ought to have a FAQ on this, because confusing stories are spread throughout the media and web.

There are two different issues here.

1) Entanglement. Key words, Bell's inequality, EPR theorem

It's possible to generate a pair of particles which are entangled in the sense that if one of them has spin "up" along a particular line then the other must have spin "down" along that same line. This relationship remains even though the particles are separated, as you say, by vast distances. So everyone thinks, all I have to do to send a bit across that gap is to switch the spin of Particle A (there are ways to do that). And then my friend who is watching Particle B will see it flip and register that bit. Then all I need is a steady stream of entangled particles to be able to send messages.

It doesn't work. The particle can also flip naturally (called "decoherence"). And one flip is all you get; any "measurement" including a natural one, destroys the entanglement. Since you don't know whether the particle is still entangled or not, you can't use it to send messages. What remains is a statistical properety: the states of the particles are more highly correlated due to quantum entanglement than they would be in a classical theory.

EPR is Einstein, Podolski and Rosen, who predicted a closely related effect in around 1940. Bell is the late John Bell, who was a physicist at CERN and developed his correlation inequality in the 1960s.

2) Quantum Teleportation.

Scientists have successfully used quantum mechanics to "teleport" particles (one time a photon, another time an electron) across a short distance. The process involves destroying the particle at its original place and recreating it elsewhere. This is expected to be a much used technique in quantum computing. So far the technique only works on elementary particles. If you see news that they have teloported a proton, you can expect that an atom will be not far behind.
  13. Dec 22, 2003 #12
    You would have to contain the particals in question and be able to alter their spin and such. If one is lost, then the other goes hay-wire. However, some experiments have been done that showed that photons can be slowed and stopped in super cool sodium and stopped by a laser beam, then reactivated later with another laser beam and all of the properties of the photon are kept. I'm not sure but this might help when combined with the instant communication issue.

As far as the teleportation of large objects, i can't really say if we can do it. Many things that were once called impossible have been done, and with photons and information able to be transmited like this, it could be a matter of time before large quantities of matter are sent instantly from the ground to the deck of a space ship. The thing is, it'd probably require enormous amounts of energy, and, until we upgrade our civilization status, energy is going to be a costly part of research.
  14. Dec 23, 2003 #13
    i heard that they have done experiments on teleportion
    but by the time they replicate half of the object by obtaining
    data about the atoms its made of etc the other half
    gets destroyed?
  15. Dec 27, 2003 #14
  16. Jan 5, 2004 #15
    Re: Quantum teleportation......

I have no idea why one would want to fax a rain shower to someone else unless the divining rod quit working. As far as the generic 'teleportation' issue is concerned, find a few nice sci-fi novels and curl up for a nice night of fiction.
  17. Jan 8, 2004 #16
    ...? Which means...

The thing about teleportation that confuses me, is that we are assuming that "The original is destroyed in the process". Isn't actual teleportation the instant movement of one body to another location in space without passing through the space between those two points? So there wouldn't be destruction involved, just movement thatm ignores points that are between the start and end. If that is considered destruction of the original, then would it not logically follow that movement in general could be considered destruction as well, since the object doesn't exist with the same values as before?
  18. Jan 8, 2004 #17

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

If you don't have a continuum of intermediate values, you do have an identity problem: is the individual at the arrival point the true same one who was at the jumpoff point?

In the case of the quantum teleportation experiments there is a definite answer. They definitely destroy the particle at one point in order to create a new one "identical" to the old one at some other point. And yes, they did avoid travel through intermediate space.
  19. Jan 8, 2004 #18
    There is another possibility?, and that is of Quantum Entanglement?..oops sorry DickT I just scanned your definations in a previous reply!
  20. Jan 8, 2004 #19

Science Advisor

I think the identity problem lies in the meaning of the word "identical ". If the only existence a material object has is the sum total of the information that describes that object, then the fact that the object materializing at "point B" is described by all the same information as the object that dematerialized from "point A", means that it is in fact that same object. If that is the case, then the original was not destroyed, but simply relocated, and no new object has been created.
  21. Jan 9, 2004 #20

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Yes, I have to agree, although I have personal problems with the conclusion. It reduces the past to the recorded engrams (hated l.ron word) of experience in the current state. So if that is preserved, identity is preserved, and there is no deeper identity than that. Correct. Ugh.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?