Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum tunneling and Computer Engineering

1. Jun 22, 2010 #1
    It is a theory, but quantum computing could most likely out perform classical computers. In this regard, would it limit the progression of AI if it could go beyond classical computing? Assuming that quantum computing catches up and out performs classical computers, will computer engineers have been taught skills to a level where they can apply quantum computing towards AI? I am worried that pursuing a career as a Computer Engineer in AI will be obsolete due to quantum computing in the next few decades.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2010 #2
    I am by no means an expert here, but I think that if quantum computing were one day to be aplicable it would result in a giant leap in computing speed and memory capabilities, this does not mean that the actual design of intelligent systems will no longer be relevant.

4. Jun 24, 2010 #3
    If you're into programming things in assembly, then maybe you should be worried. But nobody does that anymore, unless they REALLY need to optimize their speed. Today's programming languages are obfuscated to the point where the language has little if anything to do with the technology that supports it.

Programming AI will be obsolete when computers can write programs for us, and do our thinking for us. You have to be able to ask your computer a question, have it understand what you're asking, and be capable of calculating the results and presenting it to you in a meaningful way. Until then, people are going to have to be doing the thinking, and they're going to use programming languages to do it.

Now, languages have been getting progressively more powerful-- so they're becoming more object oriented and versatile, where older programming languages focused on more atomic actions. But the fundamentals are still very similar.

DaveE

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook