Quasars as indicators of distance?

• Thread starter DJ-Smiles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quasars
In summary, based on the information given, it seems unlikely that suing the redshift of a quasar would be the most accurate way to determine the distance to a galaxy.
DJ-Smiles
I have been doing some thinking about quasars and have been wondering. Are we able to sue the redshift of a quasar to find out the distance of a galaxy?

If we know the redshift at a galaxy can't we just use Vrecession= (c*(λ-λo))/(λo), then substitute this value into Vrecession=Hubble's constant *Distance and rearrange to find the distance?

Am I correct in this assumption or am I way off, any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

DJ

Physics news on Phys.org
DJ-Smiles said:
I have been doing some thinking about quasars and have been wondering. Are we able to sue the redshift of a quasar to find out the distance of a galaxy?

If we know the redshift at a galaxy can't we just use Vrecession= (c*(λ-λo))/(λo), then substitute this value into Vrecession=Hubble's constant *Distance and rearrange to find the distance?
It's a long time since I studied anything astronomic, so I can't say much here. What you say would produce a number, but won't distance calculations based on red shift be flummoxed by the quasar's own velocity?

From wikipedia we read:
It should be noted that quasars that have a recessional velocity greater than the speed of light (c) are very common. Any quasar with z>1 is going away from us in excess of c. Early attempts to explain superlumic quasars resulted in convoluted explanations with a limit of z=2.326, or in the extreme z<2.4. z=1 means a redshift indicating travel away from us at the speed of light. The majority of quasars lie between z=2 and z=5 .

Hmm yeah that is a good point.

DJ-Smiles said:
Are we able to sue the redshift of a quasar to find out the distance of a galaxy?

I think it would be difficult to find a lawyer who would take the case.

1. What is a quasar?

A quasar, short for "quasi-stellar object", is an extremely bright and distant object in the universe that emits large amounts of energy, primarily in the form of light and radio waves.

2. How are quasars used as indicators of distance?

Quasars are used as indicators of distance because they have a known brightness and are visible at great distances. By measuring the brightness of a quasar, scientists can calculate its distance from Earth.

3. How accurate are quasars as distance indicators?

Quasars are very accurate distance indicators, with a margin of error of only about 5%. This is due to the fact that quasars have a consistent and predictable brightness, making them reliable tools for measuring distance in the universe.

4. Are there any limitations to using quasars as distance indicators?

While quasars are generally accurate distance indicators, there are some limitations to their use. For example, they can only be used to measure distances up to a certain point, as they become too faint to be observed at extremely large distances.

5. How do scientists use quasars to measure the expansion of the universe?

Scientists use quasars to measure the expansion of the universe by observing the redshift of their light. As the universe expands, the light from quasars is stretched, causing it to appear more redshifted. By measuring the amount of redshift, scientists can calculate the rate of expansion of the universe.