Solving an IVP for 1st Order Quasilinear PDE with Method of Characteristics

In summary, using the method of characteristics, we were able to find a set of characteristic curves along which the PDE could be reduced to an ODE. Solving this ODE and using the initial conditions, we obtained the solution to the IVP. I hope this helps clarify the method of characteristics for you. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your studies!
sapiental

Homework Statement

Solve the following IVP for 1st order quasilinear PDE
s using the method of characteristics.

u*u_x + y*u_y = x

u = 2s, y = s, x = s

Homework Equations

a(x,y,z)*u_x + b(x,y,z)*u_y = c(x,y,z)

z = u(x_o,y_o) = 2s

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem confuses me in the sense that this is the first one where x and y aren't coupled with their respective partial derivatives. for example I can solve

x*u_x + y*u_y = x*u

I'm just looking for more insight into the method of characteristics. does it imply that I can replace u with x with the parameters?

back to the original problem

u*u_x + y*u_y = x

u = 2s, y = s, x = s

is this an acceptable approach

dx/dk = u

and using the characteristic to write

dx/dk = 2x (where s is the first parameter, and k the second one because the equation has 2 independent vars)

dy/dk = y

dz/dk = x

this is the only part that confuses me and makes me believe I am missing the bigger picture for this method.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. The method of characteristics is a useful technique for solving first order quasilinear PDEs. It involves finding a set of curves, known as characteristics, along which the PDE can be reduced to an ODE. These characteristics are determined by the coefficients a, b, and c in the PDE.

In your case, the PDE is u*u_x + y*u_y = x, and according to the method of characteristics, we can set up the following system of equations:

dx/dt = u
dy/dt = y
du/dt = x

where t is the parameter along the characteristic curves. We also have the initial conditions u(0) = 2s, y(0) = s, and x(0) = s. Solving this system of equations, we get the following characteristic curves:

x = s + t*u
y = s*e^t
u = 2s + t*x

Now, we can rewrite the PDE in terms of t and the characteristic curves:

u*u_x + y*u_y = x becomes (2s + t*x)*(1 + t*x) + s*e^t*(2s + t*x) = x

Simplifying, we get:

t^2*s*x + t*x^2 + 4s^2 + 2s*t*x = x

Rearranging, we get:

x*(t^2*s + t) + 2s*(2s + t) = 0

This is a separable ODE, and solving it, we get the solution:

x = c*e^(-t/(2s)) - 2s

where c is an arbitrary constant. Now, we can use this solution to eliminate t from the characteristic curves, and we get:

x = s + (c - 2s)*u
y = s*e^(c/(2s))
u = 2s + (c - 2s)*x

Finally, using the initial conditions, we can solve for c and get the solution for u:

x = s + (2s - 2s)*u = s
y = s*e^(2s/(2s)) = s*e
u = 2s + (2s - 2s)*s = 2s

Therefore, the solution to the given IVP is u =

1. What is an IVP (Initial Value Problem)?

An Initial Value Problem is a type of problem in mathematics and physics where the values of one or more variables are known at a specific starting point, and the goal is to find the values of those variables at other points in time or space.

2. What is a 1st Order Quasilinear PDE (Partial Differential Equation)?

A 1st Order Quasilinear PDE is a type of mathematical equation that involves multiple variables and their partial derivatives. It is "quasilinear" because the coefficients of the variables can depend on the variables themselves, making it more complex than a linear equation.

3. What is the Method of Characteristics for solving an IVP for 1st Order Quasilinear PDEs?

The Method of Characteristics is a technique used to solve 1st Order Quasilinear PDEs. It involves finding a set of curves, called characteristics, that satisfy the equation and using them to find the solution at each point in space and time.

4. What are the steps for solving an IVP for 1st Order Quasilinear PDEs with the Method of Characteristics?

The steps for solving an IVP for 1st Order Quasilinear PDEs with the Method of Characteristics are: 1) Identify the equation and its initial conditions, 2) Find the characteristics by solving a set of ordinary differential equations, 3) Use the characteristics to find the solution at each point in space and time, 4) Check the solution for consistency with the initial conditions.

5. What are some applications of solving IVPs for 1st Order Quasilinear PDEs with the Method of Characteristics?

The Method of Characteristics is used in various fields, including fluid dynamics, heat transfer, and electromagnetics, to solve problems involving partial differential equations. It is also used in finance and economics to model and predict the behavior of complex systems.