Query about Grassmann Variables in Lewis Ryder's book

In summary, Grassmann variables a + b\eta, where a and b are c-numbers and \eta is a Grassmann number, are often used in physics as a result of applying a sum of creation and annihilation operators on coherent states. From a mathematical standpoint, this can be seen as the sum and product of a Grassmann number with c-numbers. This can also be represented using matrix algebra. However, there is still some debate on the exact definition of this operation and the entity it generates.
maverick280857
Query about Grassmann Variables a + b\eta

Hi,

What does

[tex]a + b\eta[/tex]

where a and b are c-numbers and [itex]\eta[/itex] is a Grassmann number, really mean?

At first sight, this does not seem like a valid thing to do, as this can't be interpreted as a regular composition and sum in Grassmann space -- there is no concept of an identity which could be 'multiplied' with a in the first term (and so the first term is a c-number, whereas the second is a scalar multiple of a Grassmann number).

And yet we do this all the time!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
From the mathematical point of view you simply defined the operation of sum and product of a Grassman number with C-numbers.

In physics that number can be interpred as the number resulting by the application of a sum of a bosonic and a fermionic destruction operators on the product of a bosonic and a fermionic coherent state:

[itex]
\{a,a^\dagger \}=1 \, , \; [b,b ^\dagger ]=1 \, , \\
|\eta \rangle = e^{-\eta a^\dagger} |0\rangle\, , \; |\phi \rangle = e^{ \phi b^\dagger} |0\rangle \, , \\
\Rightarrow (a+ b)|\eta;\phi \rangle = (\phi + \eta)|\eta;\phi \rangle
[/itex]

I know this was a stupid answer... but that's the best I can do now :smile:

Ilm

It's not more difficult than z=a+ib with z² = (a² - b²) + 2iab; replacing i by η and i²=-1 by η²=0 you arrive at Grassmann numbers

tom.stoer said:
It's not more difficult than z=a+ib with z² = (a² - b²) + 2iab; replacing i by η and i²=-1 by η²=0 you arrive at Grassmann numbers

I see your point. However, in writing z = a + ib, you are really writing

[tex]z = a \times \mathbb{1} + b \times i[/tex]

where [itex]\mathbb{1}[/itex] is an identity element of the space of complex numbers. Put another way, the first term [itex]a[/itex] is as much of a complex number as the second term [itex]ib[/itex], so adding them is like adding two elements of the same space.

However, with Grassmann numbers, you are effectively adding a c-number to a c-number multiple of a Grassmann number. When you do that, what is the entity you generate? (I realize that my question really points to the definition of '+'.) Is it a Grassmann number, or is it something else?

In other words, if [itex]\eta[/itex] is a Grassmann number (so [itex]\eta \in \mathcal{G}[/itex]), and I define

[tex]f(\eta) = a + b\eta[/tex]

where [itex]a, b \in \mathbb{C}[/itex] (i.e. a and b are c-numbers), is it correct to say that

[tex]f: \mathcal{G} \rightarrow \mathcal{G}[/tex]

?

I don't see you point; why not doing exatly the same with a*1 + b*η and 1²=1, η²=0? then 1 and η span a two-dim. vector space with an additional operation (a*1 + b*η)(c*1 + d*η) = ac*1 + (ad+bc)*η; it's purely formal but it works

In addition there is a matrix representation of Grassmann algebras http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grassmann_number so it shouldn't really bother you

Last edited:

Related to Query about Grassmann Variables in Lewis Ryder's book

1. What are Grassmann variables?

Grassmann variables are a type of mathematical variable used in quantum field theory to describe fermionic fields, which are particles that follow the principles of Fermi-Dirac statistics.

2. How are Grassmann variables different from ordinary variables?

Unlike ordinary variables, Grassmann variables do not follow the rules of commutativity and associativity. This means that the order in which they are multiplied matters, and they do not always return to their original value when squared.

3. What is the significance of Grassmann variables in physics?

Grassmann variables are essential in the formulation of supersymmetry, a theoretical framework that proposes a symmetry between bosons and fermions. They also play a role in the path integral approach to quantum mechanics, where they are used to describe the quantum states of fermions.

4. Can you provide an example of a Grassmann variable?

One example of a Grassmann variable is the theta function, which is used to describe the massless scalar particle in two-dimensional conformal field theory.

5. How are Grassmann variables used in Lewis Ryder's book?

Lewis Ryder's book, "Quantum Field Theory," uses Grassmann variables extensively in its discussion of quantum field theory, particularly in the chapter on fermionic fields. The book provides a thorough explanation of their properties and how they are integrated into the mathematical framework of quantum field theory.