Query in Zeidler's Volume II QFT

In summary, the claim is that S^1=sigma^(23), which would supposedly kill the 4x1 column vector u in the wave function, but it does not.
Avogadro Number
Hello!

I am studying Zeidler's QFT Volume II, and I have a query on page 808:
It is claimed that
S Ψ^+_{p,s} = (sk)Ψ^+_{p,s} when p=p^3 k.
I tried my hand at deriving this, but when we write S=S^1i+S^2j+S^3k,
then the S^3k term acting on Ψ^+_{p,s} does give skΨ^+_{p,s},
but I don't see why the S^1 i and S^2 j terms don't give any contribution.
To those who are knowledgeable and happen to have access to the book,
could you please help me out? Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I am sure there are far more people browsing the internet knowledgeable of QFT who do not have an electronic/a paper copy of this book than the ones who do, so if you can at least define the terms of the equality, it would increase your chances of receiving an answer.

dextercioby said:
I am sure there are far more people browsing the internet knowledgeable of QFT who do not have an electronic/a paper copy of this book than the ones who do, so if you can at least define the terms of the equality, it would increase your chances of receiving an answer.
@dextercioby: Yes, thanks for the suggestion. I should have done it the first time round, but the notation is rather heavy, and it is hard to type it all. So I have uploaded the images of 3 relevant pages. :) I wonder it it will help. Thanks!

Attachments

• 9AEA28BF-A637-4A9D-B994-88669ED89427.jpeg
    9AEA28BF-A637-4A9D-B994-88669ED89427.jpeg
    35.1 KB · Views: 327
  • D8A17B5A-F544-4730-9F29-0539C0D055E1.jpeg
    D8A17B5A-F544-4730-9F29-0539C0D055E1.jpeg
    36.1 KB · Views: 344
  • D977FAAC-6BA7-4A8A-A1D4-1ED698F288F6.jpeg
    D977FAAC-6BA7-4A8A-A1D4-1ED698F288F6.jpeg
    29.3 KB · Views: 344
Avogadro Number said:
@dextercioby: Yes, thanks for the suggestion. I should have done it the first time round, but the notation is rather heavy, and it is hard to type it all. So I have uploaded the images of 3 relevant pages. :) I wonder it it will help. Thanks!
##S^1## contains ##\sigma^{23}## ,right? What is the result of applying this to the wave function (which is an eigenstate of the spin in the z direction)

Yes, my understanding was that S^1 is the 4x4 matrix with the 2x2 matrices (1/2)*sigma^1 as its diagonal blocks.
Then if what Zeidler's claim is true, this S^1 ought to kill the 4x1 column vector u appearing in the wave function, but it does not.
What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

Avogadro Number said:
Yes, my understanding was that S^1 is the 4x4 matrix with the 2x2 matrices (1/2)*sigma^1 as its diagonal blocks.
Then if what Zeidler's claim is true, this S^1 ought to kill the 4x1 column vector u appearing in the wave function, but it does not.
What am I doing wrong? Thanks!
S^1 is sigma^(23). What happens if we apply this to an eigenstate of gamma^3 ?

1. What is Zeidler's Volume II QFT?

Zeidler's Volume II QFT, or Quantum Field Theory, is a comprehensive textbook written by German mathematician and physicist, Hermann Zeidler. It covers advanced topics in the field of quantum mechanics and provides a mathematical foundation for understanding quantum processes.

2. What is a "Query" in Zeidler's Volume II QFT?

In Zeidler's Volume II QFT, a "Query" refers to a specific question or problem that is being addressed in the context of quantum field theory. It may involve mathematical calculations, conceptual understanding, or experimental observations.

3. How is Zeidler's Volume II QFT different from other textbooks on quantum field theory?

Zeidler's Volume II QFT is known for its comprehensive and rigorous approach to the subject. It covers a wide range of advanced topics and provides detailed mathematical explanations and proofs. It also includes many exercises and problems for students to practice and deepen their understanding.

4. Is Zeidler's Volume II QFT suitable for self-study?

While Zeidler's Volume II QFT is a challenging textbook, it can be used for self-study by motivated and determined individuals. However, it is recommended to have a strong background in mathematics and physics before attempting to study this text.

5. What are some applications of Zeidler's Volume II QFT?

Zeidler's Volume II QFT has many applications in fields such as particle physics, cosmology, and condensed matter physics. It is also used in the development of advanced technologies such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography.