1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about a mathematical function.

1. Mar 11, 2009 #1
    Hi I'm a calculas student and about every 2 weeks we are given an assignment on matlab. I'm not sure if any of you are familiar with the program. Anyway as I was working my way through the steps on the paper is to graph e^x and 10^x. On my screen I'm shown a graphy unfortunately I'm unable to load it up on to hear. But I was able to estimate 2 intersection points. which were very close to the coordinates (1.118, 3.059) and (-.913, .401) now after getting to this point. The paper I'm working off of states that there must be another solution of x^10= e^x that is larger then the first solution I found. And it wants me to explain why. I know that x^10 blows up from the start to an extremely high number. And I know that e^x starts growing smaller but has a larger base. So is the reason that my teachers are looking for is that while X^10 grows large extremely fast e^x has a larger base and eventually catches up with x^10 and crosses it again.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2009 #2
    Is it 10^x you should be graphing or x^10. Anyway, MATLAB lets you save graphs as images. You can also copy and paste. However, I don't think we'll need to see the plot to answer the question.

4. Mar 11, 2009 #3

Mentallic

Homework Helper

DeltaIceMan you have it spot on. Even though x10 shoots straight up quickly after x=1, jumping to 1024 at x=2... etc. ex climbs pretty slowly soon after x=1, but grow exponentially (remember, ax for a>1 will always grow faster than any polynomial of degree n... eventually :wink:)
    Try using newton's method to find the intersection of these graphs at the larger value of x. Don't be surprised by its size, as I know you're probably thinking of much larger values.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook