Derivative of an Exponential Function

In summary: For example:##\displaystyle \int\frac{dx}{x+1}=\int\frac{dx}{1+x}=\ln(1+x)+C \ ####\displaystyle \int\frac{dx}{x+1}=\int\frac{dx}{e^{\ln(1+x)}}=\int\frac{e^{\ln(1+x)}dx}{e^{\ln(1+x)}}=\int1dx=x+C \ ##My notation was just a little bit off.
Drakkith
Mentor

Homework Statement

Find the first and second derivative of the following function:
F(x)=e4ex

Homework Equations

d/dx ex = ex
d/dx ax = axln(a)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the derivative of ex is just ex, but I'm not sure how to go about starting this one. I'm near certain I need to use the chain rule, but I have no idea how to go about starting it. I even tried to substitute u= e4e, but realized that I'm not raising everything to the power of x, only the top e.

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
$$F(x)=e^{4e^x}$$
Define ##g(u)=4e^u## and ##f(v)=e^v##.
Then ##F(x)=f\bigg(g(x)\bigg)=f\circ g(x)##, and we can apply the chain rule to ##f## and ##g##.
$$\frac{d}{dx}\bigg(f\circ g(x)\bigg)=\frac{df}{dg(x)}(g(x))\cdot\frac{dg}{dx}(x)$$

Likes Drakkith
Oh, so you can do a u-sub after all.
If u=4ex, then d/du eu = eudu/dx
Then: e4ex(4ex)d/dx
Finally: 4ex(e4ex)
Look good?

Drakkith said:
Look good?
Use the Law of Exponents to simplify your final result above.

Likes Drakkith
Drakkith said:
Look good?

Yeah that's good, you can simplify it more if you'd like.

Likes Drakkith
SteamKing said:
Use the Law of Exponents to simplify your final result above.
Roger.
4exe4ex = 4ex+4ex

2nd derivative:
4ex+4ex
Let u = x+4ex
d/du4eu = 4eudu/dx
4eudu/dx = 4eu(1+4ex)
Finally: 4ex+4ex(1+4ex)

Likes Student100
What's a good way to think about the chain rule when you have exponents raised to exponents? Usually the students at my school are told to think of the chain rule as an inner and outer function. Unless I'm missing something obvious, that seems a bit difficult here.

The trouble with the terminology of 'inner' and 'outer' functions is that it's notation-dependent. It assumes the function composition is written as f(g(x)). As you've noted, it doesn't work like that for exponents.

I find it easier to think in terms of order of evaluation. That is, if we were given a numeric value of x, and had to evaluate the function value on a calculator, which function would we do first, which second, and so on if necessary. There is only one way that can be done, so it's not notation-dependent. We can call the functions first, second, third etc, rather than inner and outer.

If evaluating ##e^{4e^x}## for a given numeric value of x, we'd have to evaluate the expression in the exponent first, so that is the first function. We then need to exponentiate the result of that, and that exponentiation is the second function.

This approach mirrors how things are written if we use function composition notation, like ##(f\circ g)(x)##. In that notation, we work from right to left in applying the functions, so the rightmost function is first, the next-rightmost second, and so on.

Thanks, andrewkirk. That makes sense.

Another way:
[itex] F(x)= e^{4e^x}[/itex]
[itex] \ln F = 4e^x[/itex]
[itex] \frac{d}{dx} \ln F = 4e^{x}[/itex]
it's easier to do the chain rule on the function of ln; because you immediately see that in a function of ln you have another function F, so you clearly have something like G( F(x) ):
[itex] \frac{d}{dx} \ln F= \frac{1}{F} F' = 4 e^x \Rightarrow F'= 4e^x F[/itex]
if you want you can redo a derivative on [itex]\frac{1}{F} F' = 4e^x[/itex] and get:
[itex] \frac{d}{dx} \Big( \frac{1}{F} F' \Big) = \frac{F'' \cdot F - (F')^2}{F^2} = 4 e^x[/itex]

So:
[itex]F'' = \frac{4 e^x F^2 + (F')^2}{F}= \frac{4 e^x F^2 + 16 e^{2x} F^2}{F} = 4 ( 1 + 4 e^{x} ) e^x e^{4e^x}[/itex]*: If you wanted to avoid the 1/F 's you could take the derivative of :
[itex] F' = 4e^x F [/itex], giving:
[itex]F''= 4e^x F + 4 e^x F' = 4e^x F + 4 e^x (4 e^x F) = 4 e^{x} (1+4 e^x) F[/itex]
just replace F and you get the same result.

Likes Drakkith
Drakkith said:
What's a good way to think about the chain rule when you have exponents raised to exponents? Usually the students at my school are told to think of the chain rule as an inner and outer function. Unless I'm missing something obvious, that seems a bit difficult here.

It may not help, but here's how I think about the chain rule:

1) Note that for any differentiable function ##f##, there is a well-defined function ##f'##.

2) If we have ##h(x) = f(g(x)) = (f \circ g)(x)##. Then:

##h'(x) = f'(g(x))g'(x)##

I would read this as: "The function ##h'## evaluated at ##x## equals the function ##f'## evaluated at ##g(x)## times the function ##g'## evaluated at ##x##".

In your example, I would have taken:

##f(x) = e^{4x}## and ##g(x) = e^x##

Likes Drakkith
Drakkith said:

Homework Statement

Find the first and second derivative of the following function:
F(x)=e4ex
It may simply be a matter of notation.

The exponential function is sometimes written as exp(x) which is more in accordance with usual function notation.

Of course, this is defined as exp(x) = ex

Then the function you ask about in the OP is:

F(x) = exp( 4*exp(x) ), which looks more like the composition of two functions.

Thus it may be easier to see how you apply the chain rule.

SammyS said:
Of course, this is defined as exp(x) = ex

What do you mean? Is the base of the exponential function always e when defined this way?

Yes.
Of course, you could do something similar for other bases.

However, when I need to differentiate or integrate an exponential function with some other base, I usually change it to an exponential with base e.

##\displaystyle a=e^{\ln(a)} \ ##, therefore, ##\displaystyle a^x=\left(e^{\ln(a)}\right)^x=e^{\ln(a)x} \ ##

Thus, ##\displaystyle a^x=\text{exp}(\ln(a)x) \ ##.

Alright. Thanks Sammy!

What is the derivative of an exponential function?

The derivative of an exponential function is the rate of change of the function at any given point. It represents the instantaneous slope of the function and is calculated using the power rule.

How do you find the derivative of an exponential function?

To find the derivative of an exponential function, you first need to identify the base of the function. Then, apply the power rule by multiplying the base to the power and subtracting 1 from the power. This will give you the derivative of the exponential function.

What is the significance of the derivative of an exponential function?

The derivative of an exponential function is important in many areas of mathematics and science, as it allows us to model and analyze exponential growth and decay. It is also used in various applications such as finance, biology, and physics.

How does the derivative of an exponential function relate to its graph?

The derivative of an exponential function is closely related to its graph. The derivative of an exponential function is always positive, which means the graph of the function is always increasing. Additionally, the steeper the slope of the function, the faster the exponential growth or decay.

Can the derivative of an exponential function be negative?

No, the derivative of an exponential function cannot be negative. Since the power rule for derivatives always results in a positive value, the derivative of an exponential function will always be positive. This is because exponential functions have a constant positive base, which cannot be negative.