Understanding the Usual Metric on R - {0}: A Question from a Homework Statement

• Thread starter tylerc1991
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Metric
In summary, the usual metric on R - {0} is a standard way to measure the distance between two points on the real number line. It is calculated by taking the absolute value of the difference between the two points. The inclusion of {0} in the metric excludes the distance from the origin. This metric is important in various fields and is used in real-life applications such as measuring distances, calculating speed, and determining convergence.
tylerc1991

Homework Statement

I was working on a problem and think I might have run across an issue. Is the usual metric defined on R - {0}? (Where R is the real numbers) Reworded, can I say that I have a space R - {0} with the usual metric on it? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you do almost whatever you want really ;)

however as the metric still satisfies all the metric consditions, it is still a metric space
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_space

however it will no lonegr be complete as it doesn't contain all its limit points

1. What is the usual metric on R - {0}?

The usual metric on R - {0}, also known as the standard metric, is a way to measure the distance between two points on the real number line. It is defined as the absolute value of the difference between the two points.

2. Why is the usual metric on R - {0} important?

The usual metric on R - {0} is important because it allows us to quantify the distance between two points on the real number line. This is essential in various fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering.

3. How is the usual metric on R - {0} calculated?

The usual metric on R - {0} is calculated by taking the absolute value of the difference between two points, x and y, on the real number line. This can be written as d(x,y) = |x-y|.

4. What is the significance of {0} in the usual metric on R - {0}?

The {0} in the usual metric on R - {0} represents the point of origin on the real number line. This means that the usual metric measures the distance between two points without including the distance from the origin.

5. How is the usual metric on R - {0} used in real-life applications?

The usual metric on R - {0} is used in various real-life applications such as measuring distances between two locations on a map, calculating the speed of an object, and determining the convergence of a sequence in mathematics. It is also used in everyday activities like measuring the distance between two points on a ruler or a measuring tape.