1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about de broglie wavelengths

1. Mar 8, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Assume that the total energy E of an electron greatly exceeds its rest energy E0. If a photon has a wavelength equal to the de Broglie wavelength of the electron, what is the photon’s energy? Repeat the prob- lem assuming E = 2E0 for the electron.

I need help with the first part of the problem--I included my answer to the second part in case it is relevant to the first.

2. Relevant equations

de Broglie wavelength λ=h/p

E^2 = p^2c^2 + m^2c^4

E=hf=hc/λ

3. The attempt at a solution

Part one of the problem:

Knowing that E>>Erest, I can use the mass-energy relation to show that E^2 = P^2c^2, such that E=pc. From this I know that p=E/c

I used this to show that the energy of the photon must be equal to the energy of the electron as follows:

λelectron = λphoton
    λelectron = h/p = h/(E/c) = hc/Eelectron
    λphoton = hc/Ephoton
    hc/Eelectron = hc/Ephoton ---> Eelectron = Ephoton

From here all I can see is that there is an infinite number of solutions. I don't understand how to winnow my process down so that it yields only one solution. That said, I don't even know if my process is 100% correct.

Part two of the problem:
    λ=h/pelectron=hc/Ephoton
    Ephoton=c/pelectron

E^2 = p^2c^2 + E0^2 = (2Eo)^2 = 4Eo^2
    3Eo^2 = p^2c^c
    p=√3 * (Eo)/c

such that:
    Ephoton=c/pelectron = c/(√3 * (Eo)/c), all of which are constants that I know the values of and which give me a real answer.

What say you all about the first part of the problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You got the correct, unique solution: Ephoton=Eelectron=E.

For the second problem, the units in your answer do not match, there has to be some error.

4. Mar 8, 2013 #3
    Ahh thank you very much, I made a writing mistake with the second problem that I corrected in my homework. I didn't realize that the first solution was the solution--again, thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted