How Do You Find the Derivative in Physics?

• Thread starter Alex1136
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the derivative of a function can be found by taking the derivative of the function itself, then multiplying that by the derivative of the second function.
Alex1136
Hello everybody!

I am currently reading Feinman course of physics and there is one question about derivative -

I attached the formula. How did they got this derivative? I cannot understand this transformation, please help) Maybe smb could give a link where it is shown a rule how to get derivative in such case- A pity that I am not smart enough to solve this problem myself, it makes no fun when there are places in the book where I am not 100% sure what did the author meant.

thanks a lot in advance!

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 377
Physics news on Phys.org
It's just the chain rule. Remember that [itex]v = v(t)[/itex] so it's just like taking the derivative [itex]{{d}\over{dt}}\left(f^2(t)) \right) = 2f(t) f'(t)[/itex]

Alex1136 said:
Hello everybody!

I am currently reading Feinman course of physics and there is one question about derivative -

I attached the formula. How did they got this derivative? I cannot understand this transformation, please help) Maybe smb could give a link where it is shown a rule how to get derivative in such case- A pity that I am not smart enough to solve this problem myself, it makes no fun when there are places in the book where I am not 100% sure what did the author meant.

thanks a lot in advance!
This is just an application of the chain rule. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chain_rule

AM

Hello,

thanks a lot for your answers:

sorry ( I am not really smart) but I would write just = 2f(t)

my problem is I cannot get why I have to multiply also with f '(t)

I cannot find exact explanation that passes to this case in wiki(

It should be in your calculus text, it's the chain rule.

Pretend for a second you already knew the form of the velocity to be something trivial (and totally non-physical so don't assume you'll ever ever see the velocity written like this) as [itex]v(t) = t^2[/itex]. So your kinetic energy is

[itex] T = mv(t)^2/2[/itex]

So let's plug in what we know about v(t) and we find [itex]T = mt^4/2[/itex] is your kinetic energy. Do the time derivative and you get that it is [itex]2mt^3[/itex]. So that's the answer we KNOW is correct.

Now, using the v(t) we have, you would only get [itex] T = mt^2[/itex] with your way of thinking, which is not what we know is true. You have to multiply by [itex]v'(t) = 2t[/itex] to get the correct answer.

Thank you very much for support Pengwuino! You explanation on example is perfect- now I got it.

I also found the rule:
d(ab)dx = a db/dx + b da/dx

I imagined it like d(v v)dx = v dv/dx + v dv/dx = 2v dv/dx

thank you and good weekend)))

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is essentially the slope of the tangent line to the curve of the function at that point.

2. Why is the derivative important?

The derivative is important because it allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of functions. It is used in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering to solve problems involving rates of change.

3. How is the derivative calculated?

The derivative of a function can be calculated using the rules of differentiation, which involve taking the limit of the change in the function over a small interval as the interval approaches zero. Another way to calculate the derivative is by using the definition of the derivative, which involves finding the slope of the tangent line at a specific point on the curve.

4. What is the relationship between the derivative and the original function?

The derivative of a function is a new function that represents the rate of change of the original function. It describes how the original function is changing at a specific point or over a specific interval. The derivative and the original function are related by the fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that the derivative of the integral of a function is equal to the original function.

5. How is the derivative used in real life?

The derivative has many real-life applications, such as in physics to calculate velocity and acceleration, in economics to determine the marginal cost and revenue of a business, and in engineering to optimize designs and control systems. It is also used in financial markets to analyze the rate of change of stock prices and in medicine to study the growth of tumors.