Question about dielectric elastomers

• Thread starter Dystopian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dielectric
In summary, when applying DC current or AC current to dielectric elastomers, the voltage applied determines the characteristics such as capacitance, charge stored, and physical dimensions. The effect of DC and AC is similar, with DC having a lower frequency and being applied and removed. The specific application and voltage used will determine the effect on the material. When using AC, the direction of the current does not have an impact on the effect. A continuous high DC voltage may cause distortion if there is no DC bias present. These polymers are fascinating due to the electric stress on the capacitor dielectric. Unless the material is polarized, the effect will be symmetrical and not polarity dependent.
Dystopian
What happens when i apply dc current in them?
And ac aswell?
Im quite confused about them tbh.
Edit:
Dielectric*

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
Dielectric Elastomers are really capacitors so they have characteristics determined by the voltage applied.
Capacitance, charge stored and physical dimensions all vary with voltage and physical constraint.
DC has the same effect as AC, but with a lower frequency, you apply it, then you remove it.
You need to be more specific about your application before more helpful answers can be given.
Start by reading a bit about them: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dielectric_elastomers

thanks, my actual first post was deleted, i love this forum already. (just kidding)
to elaborate more and sorry for the late reply, if i apply alternating current, does the current heading cw make the same effect as the one ccw ?
also what happens if one applies continuous high dc voltage?
i read about them and i must say I am very fascinated by these polymers.

It is the electric stress on the capacitor dielectric that has the effect, so it is not current flow that has the effect.
Unless the material is polarised, as in an electret, the effect will be symmetrical and not polarity dependent. I would expect a sine wave to make 2'nd harmonic distortion unless DC bias voltage prevented zero crossings.

Baluncore said:
It is the electric stress on the capacitor dielectric that has the effect, so it is not current flow that has the effect.
Unless the material is polarised, as in an electret, the effect will be symmetrical and not polarity dependent. I would expect a sine wave to make 2'nd harmonic distortion unless DC bias voltage prevented zero crossings.
thanks.

What are dielectric elastomers?

Dielectric elastomers are a type of material that can stretch and deform when subjected to an electric field. They are made up of a thin, flexible layer of an insulating material sandwiched between two layers of electrodes.

How do dielectric elastomers work?

Dielectric elastomers work by using the applied electric field to attract or repel the charged particles in the material, causing it to expand or contract. This change in size can be harnessed for various applications, such as actuation and energy harvesting.

What are the advantages of using dielectric elastomers?

Some advantages of using dielectric elastomers include their lightweight and flexible nature, as well as their ability to produce large strains and high energy densities. They also have low power consumption and can be easily integrated into complex systems.

What are some applications of dielectric elastomers?

Dielectric elastomers have a wide range of applications, including artificial muscles, soft robots, haptic feedback devices, and energy harvesting devices. They can also be used in medical devices, such as prosthetics and drug delivery systems.

What are the challenges in using dielectric elastomers?

Some challenges in using dielectric elastomers include their limited lifespan and their sensitivity to temperature and humidity. They also require high voltages to operate, which can be a safety concern. Additionally, the manufacturing process for dielectric elastomers can be complex and costly.