Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about dielectric elastomers

1. Jul 24, 2016 #1
    What happens when i apply dc current in them?
    And ac aswell?
    Im quite confused about them tbh.
    Edit:
    Dielectric*

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2016 #2

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Welcome to PF.
    Dielectric Elastomers are really capacitors so they have characteristics determined by the voltage applied.
    Capacitance, charge stored and physical dimensions all vary with voltage and physical constraint.
    DC has the same effect as AC, but with a lower frequency, you apply it, then you remove it.
    You need to be more specific about your application before more helpful answers can be given.
    Start by reading a bit about them: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dielectric_elastomers

4. Jul 26, 2016 #3
    thanks, my actual first post was deleted, i love this forum already. (just kidding)
    to elaborate more and sorry for the late reply, if i apply alternating current, does the current heading cw make the same effect as the one ccw ?
    also what happens if one applies continuous high dc voltage?
    i read about them and i must say im very fascinated by these polymers.

5. Jul 26, 2016 #4

Baluncore

Science Advisor

It is the electric stress on the capacitor dielectric that has the effect, so it is not current flow that has the effect.
    Unless the material is polarised, as in an electret, the effect will be symmetrical and not polarity dependent. I would expect a sine wave to make 2'nd harmonic distortion unless DC bias voltage prevented zero crossings.

6. Jul 28, 2016 #5
    thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted