Choosing Best Rectifier/Diodes for 12V 50A Transformer

• Thread starter derek10
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diodes
In summary, a rectifier/diodes combo is needed to avoid an excessive voltage drop from a transformer. Many types of rectifier/diodes can be used, but using a common diode will cause the voltage to drop to 10.5 volts without load. Schottky diodes have less voltage drop but still significant. To minimize the drop, not only use the biggest diode, use more in parallel so they share the current and reduce the voltage drop a little.
derek10
Hi

I want to make an simple linear power supply, using an 12V 50A transformer rectifier and a capacitor.

What kind of rectifier/diodes are best to avoid an excessive voltage drop from the transformer? Because using common diodes the voltage drops to 10,5V without load.

Many thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
derek10 said:
Hi

I want to make an simple linear power supply, using an 12V 50A transformer rectifier and a capacitor.

What kind of rectifier/diodes are best to avoid an excessive voltage drop from the transformer? Because using common diodes the voltage drops to 10,5V without load.

Many thanks.

At those kinds of currents, even Schottky rectifier diodes will still show about 0.7V to 0.8V forward drop:

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/dkse...&newproducts=0&ptm=0&fid=0&quantity=0&PV69=80

Why do you need 50A?

You know if you use bridge rectifier on a transformer that has 12V ac output, you get higher DC voltage. So it is not 12V-2 diode drop= 10.5V! For no load, you get 12X1.4-1.5V≈15V! This is because you get the peak voltage, not the RMS voltage. Now the trick is "NO LOAD". Under load, voltage drop depending on the internal resistance of the transformer and the size of the cap.

There is no way to avoid voltage drop across the diode. As Berkman suggested, Schottky has less voltage drop but still significant. To minimize the drop, not only use the biggest diode, use more in parallel so they share the current and reduce the voltage drop a little. It is not that efficient as the Vbe drop of each diode is a little different and end up one carry more than the other. But that still will help.

Many thanks

Sorry I wanted to say 5A not 50.

It may be used for an audio amp but it might be used for powering a halogen lamp too it doesn't have a defined use yet.

Thanks yungman, I didn't knew that rectified and filtered voltage was higher than the AC output! (I have little knowledge about AC electricity) I will try the parallel Schottky diode setup and see if voltage under load is ~12V. I will update after finushing building it.

derek10 said:
Many thanks

It may be used for an audio amp but it might be used for powering a halogen lamp too it doesn't have a defined use yet.

Thanks yungman, I didn't knew that rectified and filtered voltage was higher than the AC output! (I have little knowledge about AC electricity) I will try the parallel Schottky diode setup and see if voltage under load is ~12V. I will update after finushing building it.

5A is a different world from 50A!, You can find one single diode to do the job. Just get the diodes and make sure you use BRIDGE rectifier configuration. Put a load and draw 5A and measure the voltage. I don't know your transformer, it might drop voltage under full load. There is only one way to find out...try it.

derek10 said:
Many thanks

This can be quite a problem once you start to take current from your supply. The unloaded voltage will be near the peak AC volts (less some diode drop) and will stay there if there is a smoothing capacitor. Once you start taking current, there will be ripple and the average voltage will drop noticeably. The actual amount will depend upon the load, the value of the capacitor and the source resistance of the transformer.
Audio amp supplies will usually have a series regulator to take out the ripple and voltage 'sag' and halogen lamps do not need DC (so why bother?).

A bridge rectifier will reduce the ripple significantly but, of course, there will be two diode voltage drops involved. Most PSUs use a bridge, these days.
This wiki article is worth reading.

Related to Choosing Best Rectifier/Diodes for 12V 50A Transformer

1. What is the purpose of a rectifier/diode?

A rectifier/diode is an electronic component that is used to convert alternating current (AC) to direct current (DC). This is important because many electronic devices and circuits require DC power to function properly.

2. How do I choose the best rectifier/diode for a 12V 50A transformer?

First, you need to determine the maximum voltage and current that will be passing through the rectifier/diode. In this case, it would be 12V and 50A respectively. Then, look for a rectifier/diode with a higher voltage and current rating than your required values to ensure it can handle the load. Additionally, consider the type of diode (such as silicon or Schottky) and its switching speed for optimal performance.

3. What is the difference between a rectifier and a diode?

A rectifier is a type of diode that is specifically designed to convert AC to DC. However, not all diodes are rectifiers as they may have other functions, such as regulating voltage or acting as a switch in electronic circuits.

4. Are there any precautions to take when using rectifiers/diodes with a 12V 50A transformer?

Yes, it is important to choose a rectifier/diode with a higher voltage and current rating than your required values to avoid overheating and potential damage. It is also recommended to use heat sinks and proper insulation to ensure safe and efficient operation.

5. Can I use multiple rectifiers/diodes for a 12V 50A transformer?

Yes, multiple rectifiers/diodes can be used in parallel to handle higher current loads. However, it is important to properly distribute the load among the rectifiers/diodes to prevent overloading and ensure balanced operation.