1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about electric field of a point figure in book

1. Sep 1, 2016 #1
    • Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
    I'm studying for my physics exam and there is a figure on the book physics for scientists and engineers 4th edition by giancoli that i just dont understand. I know that the electric field of a negative charge points toward it and the electric field of a positive charge points away from it

Also why is the force included in that diagram, what does it mean if it is parallel to the electric field or points against it?

upload_2016-9-2_0-49-16.png
    thank you in advanced

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2016 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Please remember to use the formatting template for all homework questions.

What is it you don't understand about the figure? What is included in parts (b) and (c) that does not appear in part (a)?

What relevant equation tells you the force that a charge experiences when subjected to an electric field?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted