1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about electrons and how we interact with them

1. Aug 1, 2009 #1
    Okay from what I know electrons are what we touch (repel) when we are holding normal solid matter. For example, when I am sitting on a chair the electrons of my body or repelling the electrons of the chair making me hover and not go through the chair.

Now, since electrons have a negative charge, theoretically speaking if my body was to have an all positive charge, would I stick to normal matter? Why is it positively charged masses don't stick to normal matter?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2009 #2
    great question. im going to say yes. that would be ionic bonding on a large scale. but that is not the only reason why we dont fall through the chair; the chair itself exerts a force on us in an equal and opposite direction.

4. Aug 2, 2009 #3
    "A seminal work by Dyson came in 1966 when, together with A. Lenard and independently of Elliott H. Lieb and Walter Thirring, he proved rigorously that the exclusion principle plays the main role in the stability of bulk matter [10]. Hence, it is not the electromagnetic repulsion between electrons and nuclei that is responsible for two wood blocks that are left on top of each other not coalescing into a single piece, but rather it is the exclusion principle applied to electrons and protons that generates the classical macroscopic normal force."

5. Aug 2, 2009 #4

Danger

Gold Member

Theoretically, I think that you would explode.

6. Aug 2, 2009 #5
    Is that a quote from somewhere? There are two very obvious wrong things there: electrons and nuclei don't repel each other, and the exclusion principle is only applied between identical particles, not between electrons and protons.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook