Calculating Elevator Cable Force for Acceleration | Physics Question

• Thread starter Coco12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elevator
In summary, the elevator weighs 3.0•10^3N and accelerates upwards at 1.0m/s^2. To determine the force exerted by the cable, the mass must be found first. For the second question, the force applied by the child is equal to the negative force applied to the skateboard. The mass of the skateboard does not factor into the calculation until the acceleration of the skateboard is needed. Gravity does not need to be added to the equation unless calculating the acceleration due to gravity.
Coco12
An elevator weighs 3.0•10^3N. It accelerates up at 1.0m/s^2. What force does the cable exert to give it this acceleration?
I know I have to find the mass first but for the acceleration, would it be gravity plus acceleration given : 9.80+1.0 ?
f=ma
Also for this question:
A 20kg child steps of a skateboard(3kg)with an acceleration of .50m/s^2, what acceleration will the skateboard travel in the opposite direction.
I know u have to find the force delivered by the child first but would u use the mass of only the child or the child and the board(23kg)

Physics news on Phys.org
Coco12 said:
would it be gravity plus acceleration given : 9.80+1.0 ?
Yes.

Coco12 said:
I know u have to find the force delivered by the child first but would u use the mass of only the child or the child and the board(23kg)
Force applied to child equals to negative of force applied to skateboard. Force applied to child is mass of child times acceleration of child, same as any other system. Skateboard doesn't factor into it at all at this point. Until you are actually looking for acceleration of the skateboard, it doesn't matter if the child pushes off from skateboard, a wagon, or the entire planet.

How do u know when to add gravity onto the equation?

1. How do elevators work?

Elevators work through a system of pulleys, cables, and a counterweight. An electric motor pulls the elevator up or down by winding the cables around a drum, and the counterweight helps balance the weight of the cab and its passengers.

2. What are the safety features of elevators?

Elevators are equipped with several safety features, including emergency brakes, door sensors, and overspeed governors. These features work together to ensure that the elevator operates safely and stops in case of an emergency.

3. How much weight can an elevator hold?

The weight capacity of an elevator varies depending on its size and design. Most standard elevators can hold between 2,000 to 5,000 pounds, while larger and more heavy-duty elevators can hold up to 20,000 pounds.

4. How do elevators know which floor to stop at?

Elevators use a system of sensors and algorithms to determine which floor to stop at. These sensors detect when a passenger presses a button or when someone is waiting on a specific floor, and the algorithms calculate the most efficient route to reach that floor.

5. What should I do if I get stuck in an elevator?

If you get stuck in an elevator, remain calm and use the emergency call button or phone to notify the building's maintenance or security team. Do not try to force the doors open or attempt to climb out of the elevator. Wait for help to arrive.