Can 4D Spacetime be Embedded Isometrically in Fewer than 90 Dimensions?

• Thread starter stevendaryl
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of embedding 4D spacetime in higher dimensional flat space, with 90 dimensions being the minimum required. The idea is that smaller regions of spacetime may require fewer dimensions for embedding. The conversation also brings up the question of whether there is a limit theorem stating that every point in a 4D spacetime can be isometrically embedded in flat space with a much smaller number of dimensions. The conversation also touches on the use of qualifiers such as "spacelike" and "timelike" for embedding dimensions, as well as the Whiteleigh embedding theorem and the idea that smaller regions of spacetime may have different curvature requirements for embedding.
stevendaryl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
According to a quote from a past Physics Forums article, 4D spacetime can be embedded isometrically (preserving the metric) in 90-dimensional flat spacetime:
Chris Clarke* showed that every 4-dimensional spacetime can be embedded isometically in higher dimensional flat space, and that 90 dimensions suffices - 87 spacelike and 3 timelike.

My intuition is that smaller regions of spacetime will require many fewer dimensions. By analogy: a 2D torus requires 3D for an embedding, but any small enough section can be embedded in 2D. My question is whether there is some kind of limit theorem of the form:

For any 4D spacetime, every point belongs to an open set that can be isometrically embedded in flat spacetime of N dimensions or fewer.

where N is some number much smaller than 90. (If we drop the "isometrically", then the answer is clearly N=4, because every 4D manifold is by definition made up of 4D sections stitched.) together.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand the qualifiers "spacelike" and "timelike" for embedding dimensions.

When I think about embedding a curved 2D-spacetime in a flat 3D embedding space, I don't see the 3 embedding dimensions as having any physical meaning. They are neither representing space nor time, and the orientation of the 2D-spacetime-surface relative to those 3 dimensions is completely arbitrary.

A.T. said:
I don't understand the qualifiers "spacelike" and "timelike" for embedding dimensions.

In this context I would interpret "timelike" and "spacelike" as referring to the signs of the metric coefficients.

There is something called the Whiteleigh (spelling?) embedding theorem. From my rapidly fading memory I thought Minkowski space/time would embed in (88, 2).

stevendaryl said:
According to a quote from a past Physics Forums article, 4D spacetime can be embedded isometrically (preserving the metric) in 90-dimensional flat spacetime:

My intuition is that smaller regions of spacetime will require many fewer dimensions. By analogy: a 2D torus requires 3D for an embedding, but any small enough section can be embedded in 2D. My question is whether there is some kind of limit theorem of the form:

For any 4D spacetime, every point belongs to an open set that can be isometrically embedded in flat spacetime of N dimensions or fewer.

where N is some number much smaller than 90. (If we drop the "isometrically", then the answer is clearly N=4, because every 4D manifold is by definition made up of 4D sections stitched.) together.

On the torus: a torus whose curvature is zero needs 4-d to embed in. Thus, if its patches embed in flat 2-d, the whole thing needs 4-d. If it has the right curvature, then both its patches and the whole thing embed in 3-d.

As to your actual question, I can an add argument in support, but not an answer (I don't know the answer).

Any arbitrarily small open set if an arbitrary 4-D Lorentzian manifold still has curvature needing 20 degrees of freedom to describe. There is some minimal flat generalization of flat Minkowski space that will embed an arbitrary such open set.

Then, the 90 dimensions needed for the general case would be to handle all complex possible global/topological features possible in the arbitrary manifold.

1. Can you explain what 4D spacetime is?

4D spacetime refers to the four dimensions of space and time that are used in the theory of relativity. It includes the three dimensions of space (length, width, and height) and one dimension of time, which are often visualized as a four-dimensional coordinate system.

2. What does it mean for 4D spacetime to be embedded isometrically?

When 4D spacetime is embedded isometrically, it means that it can be represented in a lower number of dimensions without losing any information or changing its geometry. This is similar to how a three-dimensional object can be represented in two dimensions without losing any information.

3. Why is it important to know if 4D spacetime can be embedded in fewer dimensions?

Understanding the possibility of embedding 4D spacetime in fewer dimensions can have implications for theories in physics and cosmology. It can also help us better understand the structure of the universe and the nature of space and time.

4. Is there any evidence that suggests 4D spacetime can be embedded in fewer than 90 dimensions?

There is currently no conclusive evidence that suggests 4D spacetime can be embedded isometrically in fewer than 90 dimensions. However, some theoretical models and calculations have suggested that it may be possible.

5. How does the concept of isometric embedding relate to string theory and other theories of higher dimensions?

Isometric embedding is a concept that is relevant to theories of higher dimensions, such as string theory. These theories propose the existence of additional dimensions beyond the four dimensions of spacetime that we experience. Isometric embedding helps to understand how these extra dimensions may be related to the four dimensions we are familiar with.