Question about index of notation

In summary: How do you usually represent a function? Wouldn't ##f## be a typical example, where the value of the function evaluated at ##x## is ##f(x)##? So all we are doing is saying that if ##x## is restricted to integer values, it's a standard convention (but by no means required) to write it as ##f_x## instead of ##f(x)##. It is also a convention to use a letter like ##n## instead of ##x## to indicate that it only takes on integer values. But this is also not a requirement.
mesa
Gold Member
I see summation examples in my textbooks often give something where there is an ai next to the summation itself. It also shows the index of notation to be i=m at the bottom an m at the top with the whole thing equal to am+am+1+...+an-1+an
What mathematical representation are they trying to convey with the letters m and n under and to the right of a?

Physics news on Phys.org
The subscripts (m, n, etc.) are there to identify a particular a-value in the expanded summation sequence.

In your example, a-sub m is the mth a value, the next is the m+1 th value, ..., all the way to the n-th value. The numeric values of m and n are determined separately.

SteamKing said:
The subscripts (m, n, etc.) are there to identify a particular a-value in the expanded summation sequence.

In your example, a-sub m is the mth a value, the next is the m+1 th value, ..., all the way to the n-th value. The numeric values of m and n are determined separately.

It's this 'a' value that is tripping me up. What does am mean in mathematical notation? Or are you saying 'a' just a placeholder and the n, and m are the functions?

mesa said:
It's this 'a' value that is tripping me up. What does am mean in mathematical notation? Or are you saying 'a' just a placeholder and the n, and m are the functions?
It is the opposite. ##a## is the function, and ##m## and ##n## are arguments. In the usual function notation we would write ##a(m)##, ##a(n)##, etc. When the function takes only integer arguments, it is a convention to write ##a_m## instead of ##a(m)##, but they mean the same thing.

jbunniii said:
It is the opposite. ##a## is the function, and ##m## and ##n## are arguments. In the usual function notation we would write ##a(m)##, ##a(n)##, etc. When the function takes only integer arguments, it is a convention to write ##a_m## instead of ##a(m)##, but they mean the same thing.

Okay, so m and n are just representations for each piece of the summation of the function 'a'. Never had a problem doing the actual summations but this notation has been driving me nuts each time I look at it when referencing my texts.

So why isn't it written as f(a)i instead of ai?
Are there other places where functions are just written as 'a' or is it exclusive to summations?

mesa said:
Okay, so m and n are just representations for each piece of the summation of the function 'a'. Never had a problem doing the actual summations but this notation has been driving me nuts each time I look at it when referencing my texts.

So why isn't it written as f(a)i instead of ai?
Because ##a## is the function. What does ##f## even refer to here?
Are there other places where functions are just written as 'a' or is it exclusive to summations?
We can use any letter we like for functions, including both the roman and greek alphabets. All the notation ##a_n## means is that we have some function ##a##, which can be evaluated for integer values ##n##, and instead of writing ##a(n)## we write ##a_n##.

If we have a summation
$$\sum_{n = 1}^{5} a_n$$
that simply means ##a_1 + a_2 + a_3 + a_4 + a_5##, or equivalently, ##a(1) + a(2) + a(3) + a(4) + a(5)##.

jbunniii said:
Because ##a## is the function. What does ##f## even refer to here?

We can use any letter we like for functions, including both the roman and greek alphabets. All the notation ##a_n## means is that we have some function ##a##, which can be evaluated for integer values ##n##, and instead of writing ##a(n)## we write ##a_n##.

If we have a summation
$$\sum_{n = 1}^{5} a_n$$
that simply means ##a_1 + a_2 + a_3 + a_4 + a_5##, or equivalently, ##a(1) + a(2) + a(3) + a(4) + a(5)##.

It's just odd compared to what I have seen so far. Is representing functions with just a letter a standard for mathematics or unique to just summations?

mesa said:
It's just odd compared to what I have seen so far. Is representing functions with just a letter a standard for mathematics or unique to just summations?
How do you usually represent a function? Wouldn't ##f## be a typical example, where the value of the function evaluated at ##x## is ##f(x)##? So all we are doing is saying that if ##x## is restricted to integer values, it's a standard convention (but by no means required) to write it as ##f_x## instead of ##f(x)##. It is also a convention to use a letter like ##n## instead of ##x## to indicate that it only takes on integer values. But this is also not a requirement.

In your case, we are using the letter ##a## instead of the letter ##f##, and we are using ##n## for the argument instead of ##x##. But the notation all means the same thing.

jbunniii said:
How do you usually represent a function? Wouldn't ##f## be a typical example, where the value of the function evaluated at ##x## is ##f(x)##? So all we are doing is saying that if ##x## is restricted to integer values, it's a standard convention (but by no means required) to write it as ##f_x## instead of ##f(x)##. It is also a convention to use a letter like ##n## instead of ##x## to indicate that it only takes on integer values. But this is also not a requirement.

In your case, we are using the letter ##a## instead of the letter ##f##, and we are using ##n## for the argument instead of ##x##. But the notation all means the same thing.

Very good with the explanation; you 'summed' it up nicely ;)

The a values don't necessarily represent functions. The series of a values could also be different constants, as well.

SteamKing said:
The a values don't necessarily represent functions. The series of a values could also be different constants, as well.
But ##a## itself is a function. For example, if ##a_1, a_2, a_3, \ldots## is a real-valued sequence, then ##a : \mathbb{N} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}## is a function.

The values of ##a## can be functions, of course. For example, we may have ##a_n(x) = \sin(nx)##. Then ##a : \mathbb{N} \rightarrow X##, where ##X## is the set of real-valued functions with domain ##\mathbb{R}##.

SteamKing said:

The constants are just pulled out of the summation correct? But technically it can serve as a representation of those as well; basically anything you choose to find the sum of for n# of integers up to m based on our function 'a', right?

It's interesting going back through the books, I haven't looked at these in awhile and the representation in the texts using '##a####i##' (neat way of writing these by the way jbunniii, I'll be using ## in the future) always gave me trouble for some reason... must be my age, ha ha ha. Be grateful you were wise enough to tackle these subjects when you were still young ;)

mesa said:
It's interesting going back through the books, I haven't looked at these in awhile and the representation in the texts using '##a####i##' (neat way of writing these by the way jbunniii, I'll be using ## in the future) always gave me trouble for some reason... must be my age, ha ha ha. Be grateful you were wise enough to tackle these subjects when you were still young ;)
It's just a question of getting used to the notation. A quick anecdote: group theorists, especially old-fashioned ones, like to write their functions to the right of the argument, i.e., they write ##(x)f## when the rest of the world would write ##f(x)##. (They have their reasons for doing this, which I won't go into.) I recall reading one author defending this practice, by noting that we use all sorts of idiosyncratic functional notation without even thinking of it. For example, ##e^x## (function at the base, argument in the exponent), ##x^2## (argument at the base, function in the exponent), ##n!## (argument to the left), and so forth. He certainly had a valid point.

jbunniii said:
It's just a question of getting used to the notation. A quick anecdote: group theorists, especially old-fashioned ones, like to write their functions to the right of the argument, i.e., they write ##(x)f## when the rest of the world would write ##f(x)##. (They have their reasons for doing this, which I won't go into.) I recall reading one author defending this practice, by noting that we use all sorts of idiosyncratic functional notation without even thinking of it. For example, ##e^x## (function at the base, argument in the exponent), ##x^2## (argument at the base, function in the exponent), ##n!## (argument to the left), and so forth. He certainly had a valid point.

It seems like we get accommodated with these notations with time, I just need to 'get used to' the rest of it; all that is left is everything :)

1. What is an index of notation?

An index of notation is a listing or guide that outlines the symbols, abbreviations, and conventions used in a particular field of study or subject area. It helps to standardize and clarify the use of notation within that field.

2. Why is an index of notation important?

An index of notation is important because it helps to ensure consistency and accuracy in communication within a specific field. It allows researchers and scientists to easily understand and interpret each other's work, as well as provide a common reference for future studies.

3. How is an index of notation created?

An index of notation is typically created by a group of experts in a specific field who collaborate to determine the most commonly used and accepted symbols and conventions. It may also be updated regularly to reflect changes and updates in the field.

4. Can an index of notation differ between different fields?

Yes, an index of notation can vary between different fields as each field may have its own unique set of symbols and conventions. However, there may also be some overlap or similarities between fields.

5. How can I use an index of notation?

An index of notation can be used as a reference guide when reading and writing scientific papers, as well as when conducting research in a specific field. It can also be helpful for students learning a new subject to familiarize themselves with the notation used in that field.