How do I determine the energy stored in an inductor after 2 seconds?

• Thread starter homomorphism
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inductors
In summary: The energy stored changes over time due to how the current changes over time...its sort of strange though...one would expect that the energy stored was a state function and only depended on the current at that moment...but I guess I might have been off in that reasoning.
homomorphism

Homework Statement

A resistor [tex]R[/tex] is connected in series with an inductor [tex]L[/tex]. The battery is connected at time [tex]t = 0[/tex]. How much of this energy after 2 seconds is stored in the magnetic field of the inductor?

Homework Equations

[tex]U_{L}=\frac{1}{2}Li^{2}[/tex]
[tex]i(t)=i_{0}(1-e^{\frac{-t}{\tau}})[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that you're supposed to square [tex]i(t)[/tex] and then multiply by [tex]\frac{L}{2}[/tex]. However, when I looked at the solution they have it as:
[tex]U=\frac{L}{2}\int{i(t)^{2}dt[/tex]

why do you need to multiply by the integral of current squared instead of just the current squared? what is the final answer telling me if i multiply by the current squared versus the integral of the current squared?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is because the energy stored changes over time due to how the current changes over time...its sort of strange though...one would expect that the energy stored was a state function and only depended on the current at that moment...but I guess I might have been off in that reasoning.
(The integral is essentially stating that the stored energy is not a state function, and that it does depend on the process...I didn't think it was like that but that's apparently what that answer tells)

Last edited:
homomorphism said:

Homework Statement

A resistor [tex]R[/tex] is connected in series with an inductor [tex]L[/tex]. The battery is connected at time [tex]t = 0[/tex]. How much of this energy after 2 seconds is stored in the magnetic field of the inductor?

Homework Equations

[tex]U_{L}=\frac{1}{2}Li^{2}[/tex]
[tex]i(t)=i_{0}(1-e^{\frac{-t}{\tau}})[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that you're supposed to square [tex]i(t)[/tex] and then multiply by [tex]\frac{L}{2}[/tex]. However, when I looked at the solution they have it as:
[tex]U=\frac{L}{2}\int{i(t)^{2}dt[/tex]

The solution said this was the energy? It does not even have units of energy on the right hand side.

Was that the exact statement of the problem? (The wording seemed a bit strange to me.)

1. What is an inductor?

An inductor is a passive electronic component that is designed to store energy in the form of a magnetic field. It consists of a coil of wire that is wound around a core material, such as iron or ferrite.

2. How does an inductor work?

An inductor works by resisting changes in current flow. When a current flows through the coil, it creates a magnetic field. This magnetic field stores energy, which can be released when the current stops flowing or changes direction. This property of inductors makes them useful in a variety of electronic circuits.

3. What is the unit of measurement for inductance?

The unit of measurement for inductance is the henry (H). It is named after the American scientist Joseph Henry, who made important contributions to the understanding of inductance.

4. What is the difference between inductors and capacitors?

Inductors and capacitors are both passive electronic components that store energy, but they do so in different ways. Inductors store energy in a magnetic field, while capacitors store energy in an electric field. Additionally, inductors resist changes in current flow, while capacitors resist changes in voltage.

5. What are some common uses for inductors?

Inductors have a wide range of applications in electronic circuits. Some common uses include filtering out unwanted frequencies, boosting or limiting signals, and storing energy. They are also used in power supplies, audio systems, and radio frequency circuits.