Question about Industrial Engineering

In summary, the person is a Junior in Mechanical Engineering, but is finding out that they hate it and are considering switching to Industrial Engineering because they enjoyed and did well in an advanced economics class. They are wondering if they will still have to study subjects like fluid mechanics and thermodynamics as an Industrial Engineer. The expert summarizer suggests that they will need to take thermo, but not fluids or heat transfer. They also mention that in their experience, Industrial Engineers are strong in subjects like accounting and management, but may not have as much knowledge in "hard" engineering subjects.
Atoweha
I'm currently a Junior in Mechanical Engineering, and I'm finding out that I really hate it. I'm taking classes like Therodynamics and Fluid mechanics and I hate the classes, they are really boring to me.
I was thinking about switching to Industrial engineering becuase i took an advanced economics class and enjoyed and aced it. The only reason I am not changing to Economics or Buis. is that i want a more technical degree.
As an Industrial engineer, do I have to study things like fluid mechanics and thermo dynamics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Atoweha said:
I'm currently a Junior in Mechanical Engineering, and I'm finding out that I really hate it. I'm taking classes like Therodynamics and Fluid mechanics and I hate the classes, they are really boring to me.
I was thinking about switching to Industrial engineering becuase i took an advanced economics class and enjoyed and aced it. The only reason I am not changing to Economics or Buis. is that i want a more technical degree.
As an Industrial engineer, do I have to study things like fluid mechanics and thermo dynamics?
To me, thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, and heat transfer are the greatest engineering subjects in the universe. Different strokes for different folks. It looks like you will be happier in industrial engineering.

edgepflow said:
To me, thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, and heat transfer are the greatest engineering subjects in the universe. Different strokes for different folks. It looks like you will be happier in industrial engineering.

but as an industrial engineer, would i have to take fluid mechanics and all that?

You will need Thermo but not Fluids or Heat Transfer.

I believe Thermo is standard for all CE, ME and IE programs.

Depends on the University you attend...I did Industrial Engineering and I did thermo, fluid mechanics, Heat and Mass Transfer, mechanics of machines, engineering design I and II etc. Even in my final year I was given the option of selecting many mechanical courses which I did. So I would say that 75-80% of my industrial degree was mechanical courses.

Usually I feel bored of a book, a news article any writings, or math problems because I don't understand what they are telling me or how to solve them; I hate a subject because it asks me to do too much and I am stressful each day, since I am lazy and never learn to make myself a simple timetable. I think I still have over 2 more years to realize and appreciate that whatever I am being taught is never ever useless and that it is never important of such a college BS. Later I think I would love to learn to practice speaking, writing, listening and above all to learn how to accept things.

Ato, here's a hint: if you are still at the university where you have access to the Industrial Engineering curriculum list, and you're asking this forum 'what coursework is required?', then perhaps you have deeper problems than hating your ME coursework. Look it up in any university course catalog.

In my experience, IE's were weak on the "hard" engineering subjects but strong in other subjects like accounting, business, management theory, statistics, optimization,and what not. My exposure to the IE workload and their mindset led to my nickname for IEs: "Industrial Accountants." I wouldn't give two cents for an IE who told me he could do mechanical design or transient heat transfer analysis, but I'd certainly respect his opinion about how to layout a factory in order to optimize its operations and run its capital equipment at highest utilizations.

1. What exactly is Industrial Engineering?

Industrial Engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on optimizing complex systems, processes, and organizations to improve efficiency, productivity, and quality. It involves the application of mathematical and scientific principles to design, develop, implement, and improve integrated systems of people, equipment, and information.

2. What are the key responsibilities of an Industrial Engineer?

The key responsibilities of an Industrial Engineer include identifying and analyzing inefficiencies in systems and processes, designing and implementing solutions to improve productivity and quality, managing resources and budgets, and collaborating with various teams to achieve organizational goals. They also play a crucial role in project management, data analysis, and continuous improvement initiatives.

3. What are the career opportunities for Industrial Engineers?

Industrial Engineers can work in a variety of industries, including manufacturing, healthcare, transportation, and technology. They can hold positions such as process improvement engineer, supply chain analyst, operations manager, quality control engineer, and project manager. With their diverse skill set, Industrial Engineers are also well-suited for leadership roles in organizations.

4. What skills are required to excel in Industrial Engineering?

The key skills required to excel in Industrial Engineering include strong analytical and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, excellent communication and collaboration skills, proficiency in data analysis and modeling, and knowledge of various engineering and business principles. Additionally, having a continuous learning mindset and being adaptable to changing environments are essential for success in this field.

5. How is Industrial Engineering different from other engineering disciplines?

Unlike other engineering disciplines that focus on specific systems or components, Industrial Engineering takes a holistic approach to optimize entire systems and processes. Industrial Engineers also work closely with people and focus on human factors in their designs and solutions. Additionally, they use a combination of engineering, business, and management principles to achieve their goals, making it a unique and versatile field of engineering.