Question about integral and Abs function

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for finding the integral of |2x-3| from x = 0 to x = 2. The first method involves separating the integral into two parts, while the second method uses a different approach. There is some confusion about the equations used in the second method and why it does not produce the expected result. Ultimately, it is determined that the second method does not work due to a discontinuity at x = 3/2.
njama
Hello!

I want to find

[tex]\int_{0}^{2}{|2x-3|}[/tex]

I know the method for separating the integral on two integrals, but I want to try second method.

I know that

[tex]\int_{0}^{2}{|2x-3|}=\frac{|2x-3|(x-3)x}{2x-3}|_{0}^{2}[/tex]

But in this case I got F(2)-F(0)=-2 and on the first method 5/2.

Why the second method does not work?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
What makes you think that the last equation is true?
I don't see where the x(x - 3) comes from, and how taking the derivative of sgn(2x-3) x (x - 3) is |2x - 3| :S

CompuChip said:
What makes you think that the last equation is true?
I don't see where the x(x - 3) comes from, and how taking the derivative of sgn(2x-3) x (x - 3) is |2x - 3| :S
It is.

Let |2x-3|=[itex]\sqrt{(2x-3)^2}[/itex]

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{(2x-3)^2}(x-3)x}{2x-3}[/tex]

Now taking the derivative:

[tex]\frac{(\sqrt{(2x-3)^2}(x-3)x)'*(2x-3) - \sqrt{(2x-3)^2}(x-3)x*(2x-3)'}}{(2x-3)^2}[/tex]

Also you can check it by first

x>= 3/2

[tex](x-3)x=x^2 -3x[/tex]

derivative:

[tex]2x-3[/tex]

Now

x< 3/2

[tex]-(x-3)x=-x^2+3x[/tex]

derivative:

[tex]-2x+3=-(2x-3)[/tex]

This is a lot work to do here, so I check it again with Mathematica 5.0 and it is true. But still can't see the problem.

njama said:
Hello!

I want to find

[tex]\int_{0}^{2}{|2x-3|}[/tex]

I know the method for separating the integral on two integrals, but I want to try second method.

I know that

[tex]\int_{0}^{2}{|2x-3|}=\frac{|2x-3|(x-3)x}{2x-3}|_{0}^{2}[/tex]

But in this case I got F(2)-F(0)=-2 and on the first method 5/2.

Why the second method does not work?

Thanks in advance.

You can't ignore the fact that there is a discontinuity at x = 3/2. The proper computation is

[tex]\left.\mbox{sgn}(2x-3)(x-3)x\right|^{2}_{3/2^+} + \left.\mbox{sgn}(2x-3)(x-3)x\right|^{3/2^-}_{0},[/tex]
where 3/2^+ means infinitesimally above 3/2 and 3/2^- means infinitesimally below 3/2, such that in the first term sgn(2*x-3) = 1, while in the second it is -1. You then get

[itex]-2 - (-3/2)(3/2) - ((-3/2)(3/2) - 0) = 5/2[/itex], which is your desired result.

Thanks for the reply. I think I understand.

[tex]A_1(x)=(x-3)x[/tex] when x>=3/2

and

[tex]A_2(x)=-x(x-3)[/tex] when x<3/2

Where A1(x) and A2(x) represent the area of the interval [0,x]

But if I want to find the area on the interval [0,2]

Now I find the area of [0,3/2] + (area [0,2] - area [0, 3/2])

First I must find A2(3/2)+(A1(2) - A2(3/2))=A1(2)

Related to Question about integral and Abs function

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a graph. It is used to calculate the total accumulation of a quantity over a given interval.

2. How is the integral symbol (∫) used?

The integral symbol is used to represent the integral of a function. It is written as ∫f(x)dx, where f(x) is the function and dx represents the infinitesimal change in the independent variable.

3. What is the purpose of the absolute value (Abs) function in an integral?

The absolute value function is used in integrals to ensure that negative values are not included in the calculation of the area under the curve. It essentially makes all values positive, allowing for a more accurate calculation of the total accumulation.

4. How is the absolute value (Abs) function represented in an integral?

The absolute value function is represented by placing vertical bars around the function, such as |f(x)|. This indicates that the function will be evaluated as positive regardless of its original input.

5. What are some real-world applications of integrals and the absolute value function?

Integrals and the absolute value function are used in many fields, such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. They can be used to calculate the total distance traveled, the total force applied, the total profit or loss, and the total error in a measurement, among other things.