Question about linear transformations

In summary, the conversation discusses linear transformations and how to find the representation of the transformation in a given basis. The conversation also clarifies some confusion about notation and how it relates to different bases.
bonildo
Summary:: linear transformations

Hello everyone, firstly sorry about my English, I'm from Brazil.

Secondly I want to ask you some help in solving a question about linear transformations.

Here is the question:Consider the linear transformation described by the matrix [itex] \mathsf{A} \in \Re ^{2x2}
given by: [/itex]

[itex] A =
\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 1 \\
-1 & 1 \\
\end{pmatrix}
[/itex]

a) Find the representation of the linear transformation in the basis V={v1,v2}, where v1=transpose(1,1) , v2=transpose(2,0)

My approach:

Choosing and arbitrary vector in the vector space that V span then it can be write as a linear combination of the basis:

[itex] v=(x,y)=a1(1,1)+a2(2,0) [/itex]

Applying T on both sides:

[itex] T(v)=T((x,y))=a1T(1,1)+a2T(2,0) [/itex]

Finding T(1,1) and T(2,0):

[itex] T(1,1)=A*(1,1) =(2,0) [/itex]
[itex] T(2,0)=A*(2,0) = (2,-2) [/itex]

then:

[itex] T((x,y))= (2 a1 + 2 a2, -2 a2) [/itex]

Solving for a1 and a2:

[itex] a1=(x+y)/2 [/itex]
[itex] a2=-y [/itex]

and finally T(x,y):
[itex] T(x,y)=(x+y)/2 (2,0) +(-y)(2,-2) = (x-y,2y) [/itex]But when I substitute T(x,y) with (1,1) I don't get the same answer as A*(1,1) . Can someone help me with it ?

T(1,1)=(1-1,2*1) =(0,2)
and
A*(1,1) = (2,0)

[Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and thus no template.]

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

I don't understand what you are doing. Could you clarify your symbols ?
e.g if you write $$T(1,1)=A*(1,1) =(2,0)$$ it looks to me as if you think ##T = A##.

I also get another result:$$
A \begin{pmatrix} 1\\ 1\\ \end {pmatrix} =
\begin{pmatrix}
\phantom - 1 & 1 \\
-1 & 1 \\
\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix} 1\\ 1\\ \end {pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix} \phantom - 1+1\\ -1+1\\ \end {pmatrix} =\begin{pmatrix} 2\\ 0\\ \end {pmatrix}$$which in the basis V is equal to ##v_2##. Similarly$$
A \begin{pmatrix} 2\\ 0\\ \end {pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} \phantom - 2\\ -2\\ \end {pmatrix} = 2 v_1 - 2v_2 $$So in the basis V, I would expect $$A'=
\begin{pmatrix}
0 &\phantom - 2 \\
1 & -2 \\
\end{pmatrix}$$

Likes PeroK
BvU said:
Hi,

I don't understand what you are doing. Could you clarify your symbols ?
e.g if you write $$T(1,1)=A*(1,1) =(2,0)$$ it looks to me as if you think ##T = A##.

I don't mean T=A , I mean T((1,1))=A*(1,1). In other words, the transformation applied to the vector (1,1) is equal to matrix A times (1,1). But I'm not sure if this equation is right... Did you get it ?

bonildo said:
I don't mean T=A , I mean T((1,1))=A*(1,1). In other words, the transformation applied to the vector (1,1) is equal to matrix A times (1,1). But I'm not sure if this equation is right... Did you get it ?

You need to be careful with notation when dealing with more than one basis. We have the first basis we are given:
$$e_1 \leftrightarrow \begin{pmatrix} 1\\ 0\\ \end {pmatrix}, e_2 \leftrightarrow \begin{pmatrix} 0\\ 1\\ \end {pmatrix}$$
In which the linear transformation ##T## is represented by the matrix:
$$T \leftrightarrow A = \begin{pmatrix}
1 & 1 \\
-1 & 1 \\
\end{pmatrix}
$$
Now, you have a second basis. I'll use the notation that vectors and linear transformations represented in this basis are indicated by a prime ##'##. The basis vectors are:
$$v_1 \leftrightarrow \begin{pmatrix} 1\\ 0\\ \end {pmatrix}' \leftrightarrow \begin{pmatrix} 1\\ 1\\ \end {pmatrix}, v_2 \leftrightarrow\begin{pmatrix} 0\\ 1\\ \end {pmatrix}' \leftrightarrow \begin{pmatrix} 2\\ 0\\ \end {pmatrix}$$
And the linear transformation ##T## is represented by the matrix:
$$T \leftrightarrow A' = \begin{pmatrix}
a & b\\
c & d \\
\end{pmatrix}'
$$
Where you have to find ##a, b, c, d##.

Unless you use the primed notation, you are going to get confused. Does that make sense?

Likes SammyS

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another while preserving the basic structure of the original vector space. It is used to describe the relationship between two sets of data or variables.

2. How is a linear transformation represented?

A linear transformation is typically represented using a matrix, where each column represents the transformed coordinates of a basis vector. The matrix can also be expressed as a set of linear equations or using a graphical representation.

3. What is the purpose of a linear transformation?

The main purpose of a linear transformation is to simplify and analyze complex relationships between variables or data. It can also be used to solve systems of linear equations, perform geometric transformations, and identify patterns in data.

4. What are some common examples of linear transformations?

Some common examples of linear transformations include rotations, reflections, scaling, shearing, and projection. These transformations can be applied to various mathematical concepts such as vectors, matrices, and functions.

5. How does a linear transformation affect the properties of a vector space?

A linear transformation preserves the properties of a vector space, such as addition, scalar multiplication, and the zero vector. This means that the transformed vectors will still behave the same way as the original vectors in terms of these operations.