Question about logic and recurrence relation

In summary: It's not guessing, but it's not really "systematic" because it's a very simple question. All you need to do is use what you know about tautologies to construct an equivalent statement.
johnsmiths

Homework Statement

find a logical expression using only ∧ and ¬ operators which is logically equivalent to (p ∨ q)

The Attempt at a Solution

losing direction
what should I first consider?

There is another question about recurrent relation.

Suppose that a mathematical expression can only be formed by the following symbols: 0, 1,
2, …, 9, ×, +, /. Some examples are “0 + 9”; “2 + 2 × 8”; “1 / 5 + 6”. Let an be the the number
of such mathematical expression of length n (e.g. “0 + 9” is considered of length 3). Find a
recurrence relation for an and compute the closed form for an.
[Some clarification: We define a number as follows
- 0, 1, 2, …, 9 is a number
- If x is a number, then x0, x1, …, x9 is a number
We define a valid expression as follows
- E is a valid expression if E is a number
- If E, F are valid expressions, then E + F, E × F, E / F are also valid expressions.
For example: 1+50/4 is an expression of length 6, and 09×00/5 is an expression of length 7.]

Totally no idea about this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
johnsmiths said:

Homework Statement

find a logical expression using only ∧ and ¬ operators which is logically equivalent to (p ∨ q)

The Attempt at a Solution

losing direction
what should I first consider?

You should consider what it means to be logically equivalent, then look up "tautologies."

fss said:
You should consider what it means to be logically equivalent, then look up "tautologies."

What do you mean is finding something [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] ( p[tex]\vee[/tex]q ) and make it a tautology?

johnsmiths said:
What do you mean is finding something [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] ( p[tex]\vee[/tex]q )?

I do not understand what the above question is asking.

Do you understand what it means when two statements are logically equivalent?

fss said:
I do not understand what the above question is asking.

Do you understand what it means when two statements are logically equivalent?

It means p[tex]\leftrightarrow[/tex]q is a tautology.

Maybe I make some mistakes with my question. And after I know that, what should I do next?
Just guessing or there is a systematic way to work out the solution.

johnsmiths said:
Just guessing or there is a systematic way to work out the solution.

It's not guessing, but it's not really "systematic" because it's a very simple question. All you need to do is use what you know about tautologies to construct an equivalent statement. The original statement p v q has a very simple logical equivalent that you should be able to deduce with only a little thinking once you find the proper tautological statement.

What is a recurrence relation?

A recurrence relation is a mathematical equation that recursively defines a sequence of numbers. It relates the current term in the sequence to one or more previous terms.

How is a recurrence relation different from a regular formula?

A recurrence relation involves using previous terms in the sequence to find the next term, while a regular formula does not rely on any previous terms. Recurrence relations are often used to model real-life scenarios where the value of a variable depends on its previous values.

Can you provide an example of a recurrence relation?

One example of a recurrence relation is the Fibonacci sequence, where each term is the sum of the two previous terms (starting with 0 and 1): 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, ...

How is logic used in recurrence relations?

Logic is used to determine the pattern or relationship between the previous terms in a sequence in order to find the next term. It involves analyzing the given information and using deductive reasoning to come up with a solution.

What are some applications of recurrence relations in science?

Recurrence relations are commonly used in fields such as computer science, physics, and biology. In computer science, they are used to analyze algorithms and data structures. In physics, they are used to model and predict natural phenomena. In biology, they are used to study population growth and genetic inheritance.