Question about massage therapy

• Medical
  • Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Therapy
In summary, the speaker had a massage to alleviate pain in their lower back, which has been bothering them all week. During the massage, the speaker experienced muscle spasms whenever the therapist worked on their upper to lower spine. When they asked about it, the therapist mentioned there may be something going on in that area. This has happened before when the speaker is stressed. Someone else in the conversation mentioned that their spouse experiences similar spasms, possibly due to an irritated nerve. The speaker also shared that they themselves get muscle spasms if they overwork a muscle. It is possible that the spasms experienced during the massage may be related to a nerve issue in the back.
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Just had a massage this afternoon...so nice, since I missed work Monday because of a painful and stiff lower back, and it's been nagging me all week.

But during the massage, and uncomfortable thing kept happening. As the therapist would work from my upper to lower spine, the muscles would spasm...it felt almost like a reflex. It wasn't painful but it sure wasn't relaxing. But if she worked from the lower spine going up it wouldn't happen.

I asked her about it and all she said was, there's something going on here. (This was the first time I've gone to this massage therapist.)

This has happened in the past during massages, when I'm really stressed.

Has anyone experienced this? Is this because of the therapist, or is it just me?

Biology news on Phys.org
My wife gets spasms which have been attributed to irritated nerve(s).

I'll get muscle spasms if I work a muscle to exhaustion, i.e. overwork it.

It may a nerve in one's back.

I cannot make a definitive diagnosis without conducting a thorough examination and gathering more information. However, based on the information provided, it is possible that the spasms you experienced during the massage could be a result of muscle tension and stress in your lower back. It is also possible that the massage therapist's technique or pressure may have triggered the spasms. I would recommend discussing your experience with the massage therapist and possibly seeking out a different therapist who can adjust their techniques to better suit your needs and alleviate any discomfort. It is always important to communicate openly with your massage therapist and address any concerns or discomfort during the session. Additionally, it may be beneficial to explore other methods of managing stress and tension, such as stretching, exercise, or relaxation techniques. It is always best to consult with a medical professional for personalized advice and treatment for any ongoing back pain or discomfort.

What is massage therapy?

Massage therapy is a form of hands-on treatment that involves manipulating the soft tissues of the body to improve circulation, relieve tension, reduce stress, and promote overall health and wellness.

What are the benefits of massage therapy?

The benefits of massage therapy include reduced muscle tension, improved circulation, increased relaxation, decreased stress and anxiety, improved posture, and relief from chronic pain and injuries.

What types of massage are available?

There are several types of massage therapy, including Swedish massage, deep tissue massage, sports massage, trigger point therapy, and myofascial release. Each type focuses on different techniques and has its own specific benefits.

Is massage therapy safe for everyone?

In general, massage therapy is safe for most individuals. However, it is important to inform your massage therapist of any medical conditions or injuries you have, as well as any medications you are taking. This will help ensure that the massage is tailored to your specific needs and is safe for you.

How often should I get a massage?

The frequency of massage therapy depends on your individual needs and goals. Some people may benefit from weekly sessions, while others may only need a massage once a month. It is best to discuss your goals with your massage therapist to determine the appropriate frequency for you.