1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question About Measuring Specific Heat Capacity

1. Jul 25, 2012 #1
    Recently, I did a physics lab experiment to find the specific heat capacity of an unknown sample material. The lab instructions kept insisting that the sample had to be kept in boiling water for at least 10 minutes. My question is why? Could I have found the specific heat capacity if the sample were just placed in hot--but not boiling--water for 10 minutes?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Boiling water has ~100°C everywhere, and if you wait long enough your whole sample has this temperature. With hot water, it might be more difficult to find the temperature.

4. Jul 25, 2012 #3
    But we used a thermometer and data collection program to obtain the temperature of the water anyway, so does it still matter then?

5. Jul 25, 2012 #4

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The long soak in boiling water is to ensure that the sample is at 100C clear to the center, it may not take 10min but then how long does it take? Do you know?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook