Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Question about Medical Physics in Canada

  1. Aug 11, 2011 #1
    Hello, I was reading through some threads and found out about medical physics
    Even though I researched on google I got confused because the process of becoming one is bit different from states and Canada ( I want to know for Canada)

    So here are some questions
    1) Do we call the profession Medical Physicists?

    2) Is it same as radiation oncologists?

    3)Is CAMRT certification related to this job? or is it for other college programs?

    4)Can you get a job right after PhD?

    Also I wanted to make sure about this too; to become one you go through undergrad on physics or related degree then you apply for your MSc/PhD right?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2011 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

    The profession is "medical physics" and the professionals and "medical physicists."

    A radiation oncologist is a medical doctor, who assesses cancer patients and prescribes radiation treatments. After they complete medical school they go through a ~ 5 year residency program to learn how to treat cancer with radiation. Many will also complete a fellowship after this before establishing a full-time, permanent practice.

    CAMRT is the Canadian Association of Medical Radiation Technologists. This is the professional organisation that credentials radiation therapists and other technologist-professionals such as MRI technologists in Canada. Medical physicists may assist this organisation in advisory or assisting roles, but professionally they have no official offiliation with CAMRT.

    Canadian medical physicists are certified through membership with the Canadian College of Physicists in Medicine. Certification with the American Board of Radiology is also generally accepted at par. The national professional body in Canada is the Canadian Organisation of Medical Physicists.

    After the PhD you generally do a residency for roughly 2 years. This is a paid position where you generally make more money than a typical post-doc, so yes you can get a 'job' but generally you would be considered a physics resident and not yet a medical physicist. After 2 years of clinical experience (and soon that will also include having gone through a CAMPEP-accredited program) you are eligible to write the exam for membership with the college.

    That's correct.
  4. Aug 12, 2011 #3
    Off the top of my head, some other undergrad programs of interest would be MedRad, MedPhys, BiomedEng, EngPhys.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook