Question about noether's theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between a coordinate transformation with a Jacobian of 1 and a Lagrangian density without explicit coordinate dependence. It is concluded that under these conditions, the action remains unchanged and this is the gauge symmetry of unimodular gravity. The corresponding conserved quantity is the traceless part of the stress-energy tensor. Additionally, the importance of the Jacobian in obtaining non-trivial results is mentioned.
geoduck
If you have purely a coordinate transformation whose Jacobian equals 1, and your Lagrangian density has no explicit coordinate dependence (just a dependence on the fields and their first derivatives), then is it true that the transformation is a symmetry transformation?

It looks like it is, that under these conditions the action is unchanged. I just want some verification.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, I believe this is the gauge symmetry of unimodular gravity. The corresponding conserved quantity is the traceless part of the stress-energy tensor.

jambaugh said:
Yes, I believe this is the gauge symmetry of unimodular gravity. The corresponding conserved quantity is the traceless part of the stress-energy tensor.

Thanks.

It seemed trivially true to me that the action is unchanged under any pure coordinate transformation so long as your Lagrangian is not coordinate dependent, but I had forgotten about the Jacobian, and the Jacobian allows you to get a non-trivial result.

When I realized I forgot the Jacobian, then it occurred to me that if the transformation has Jacobian 1, then the trivial result would still follow. Of course translations and rotations have Jacobian 1 and the action is unchanged leading to conservation of energy and angular momentum, but it seems you can dilate each coordinate in such a way that the Jacobian is still 1.

1. What is Noether's Theorem?

Noether's Theorem is a fundamental theorem in physics that relates the symmetries of a physical system to its conserved quantities. It was discovered by mathematician Emmy Noether in the early 20th century.

2. What is the significance of Noether's Theorem?

Noether's Theorem is significant because it provides a powerful tool for understanding the laws of physics and their underlying symmetries. It has been applied to a wide range of physical theories, including classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum field theory.

3. How does Noether's Theorem relate to conservation laws?

Noether's Theorem states that for every continuous symmetry of a physical system, there exists a corresponding conserved quantity. For example, the conservation of energy is related to the time symmetry of a system, while the conservation of momentum is related to its translational symmetry.

4. Can Noether's Theorem be applied to all physical systems?

Yes, Noether's Theorem applies to all physical systems that exhibit symmetries. However, it is most commonly used in classical mechanics and field theories, and its applications in quantum mechanics are still an area of active research.

5. Are there any limitations or exceptions to Noether's Theorem?

Noether's Theorem is a powerful and general tool, but it does have some limitations. For example, it only applies to continuous symmetries, not discrete ones. Additionally, it does not apply to systems that are not well-defined, such as systems with singularities or infinite degrees of freedom.