Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about noether's theorem

1. Apr 9, 2013 #1
    If you have purely a coordinate transformation whose Jacobian equals 1, and your Lagrangian density has no explicit coordinate dependence (just a dependence on the fields and their first derivatives), then is it true that the transformation is a symmetry transformation?

It looks like it is, that under these conditions the action is unchanged. I just want some verification.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2013 #2

jambaugh

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, I believe this is the gauge symmetry of unimodular gravity. The corresponding conserved quantity is the traceless part of the stress-energy tensor.

4. Apr 10, 2013 #3
    Thanks.

It seemed trivially true to me that the action is unchanged under any pure coordinate transformation so long as your Lagrangian is not coordinate dependent, but I had forgotten about the Jacobian, and the Jacobian allows you to get a non-trivial result.

When I realized I forgot the Jacobian, then it occurred to me that if the transformation has Jacobian 1, then the trivial result would still follow. Of course translations and rotations have Jacobian 1 and the action is unchanged leading to conservation of energy and angular momentum, but it seems you can dilate each coordinate in such a way that the Jacobian is still 1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook