1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about NOR gates and overflow

1. Jan 28, 2007 #1
    How do I develop a minimal NOR circuit that detects overflow by examining the sign bits of two addends (A and B) and their sum (S)?

Doesn't this depend on how long the addends A and B are? Is there anyway I can generalize the result to n bit addends?

or perhaps I can just designate one input as 'the carry in', compare the MSB of the two addends and go from there?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2007 #2
    I believe the problem requires you to consider only the MSB of A and B, and the sum S of these bits. What are the overflow conditions given these 3 inputs? Work it out from there.
  4. Jan 29, 2007 #3
    When adding, you MUST add two strings that are both of N bits. So, if you're adding strings of N bits, the sum of the carry out when adding the msb MUST NOT EQUAL 1.

If it equals 1, you have overflow.

For ex:

If you have two 8 bit strings...

That 1 in the bold is a carry-out, hence overflow.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?