Calculating Current in a Mixed Series and Parallel Circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of Ohm's law in circuits with parallel and series components. The rules for calculating total voltage and current in these types of circuits are mentioned, and the concept of effective resistance is also brought up. The conversation concludes with a potential solution using proportions to find the voltage and current in individual resistors.
doublea500
just a quick question about ohms law (v=ir) concerning when there is a parallel and a series in the same circuit. i know the rules like in a parallel, v total is v1+v2... and in a series it is 1/v+1/v2=1/vt. and that's the opposite for Current. but what do i do when there is a series and a parallel in the same question.

heres a basic question i just made. sorry its a bit dirty.

i just changed the question to help understand the concept better

The problem i have is that i can find Rt but i have no idea what to do with it because... there are 2 different things

Attachments

• physics question1.png
    physics question1.png
    7.4 KB · Views: 472
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like homework to me.

Looking at the questions

What do you mean calculate current from R1 etc and voltage from R1 etc?

You calculate current through a resistor and the voltage across a resistor.

If you have to calculate these for each resistor the effective resistance Rt will not help you.

Studiot said:
Looks like homework to me.

Looking at the questions

What do you mean calculate current from R1 etc and voltage from R1 etc?

You calculate current through a resistor and the voltage across a resistor.

If you have to calculate these for each resistor the effective resistance Rt will not help you.

so just replace from with through then :D. and how do i find the voltage and current Through these resistors without effective resistance?

actually, could i just find the Rt then find the Current in total. and then like separate it using proportions? like say the Rtparallel was 2 and the Rtseries was 2. and Rt in all was 4. Let's say V=8. I am just making this up now, so you don't get confused with the pic on top. so i could do V=IR->8=I*4. Itotal=2. i is the same in a series so each resistor in the series is I=2A and for the Parallel i can do the It=I1+I2... i think i got it.

Last edited:
That's pretty much right. You would still have to figure out what I1 and I2 are.

Related to Calculating Current in a Mixed Series and Parallel Circuit

1. What is Ohm's law?

Ohm's law is a fundamental principle in physics that describes the relationship between current, voltage, and resistance in an electrical circuit. It states that the current through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage applied to it and inversely proportional to the resistance of the conductor.

2. Who discovered Ohm's law?

Ohm's law was discovered by German physicist Georg Ohm in 1827.

3. How is Ohm's law expressed mathematically?

Ohm's law can be expressed as V = IR, where V is voltage, I is current, and R is resistance. This equation can also be rearranged to calculate any of these variables if the other two are known.

4. What are the units of measurement for voltage, current, and resistance?

Voltage is measured in volts (V), current is measured in amperes (A), and resistance is measured in ohms (Ω).

5. How is Ohm's law used in real-world applications?

Ohm's law is used in a variety of real-world applications, including designing and troubleshooting electrical circuits, calculating power consumption, and selecting appropriate components for electronic devices.