1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Question about Properties of Relations

1. Dec 9, 2009 #1
    1. The question is: P on the set, A, of all people, where xPy means x is a parent of y.

2. Relevant equations - None

3. Attempts at a Solution Here is where I am confused. Reflexivity is defined by aRa. So I am unclear what to do with more than one variable. So in this question, do I examine if xRx? That is to say is x a parent of x? If that is the case, then the answer is clearly no. I am just unsure of how to deal with reflexivity.

I am ok with symmetry and transitivity.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Can x be the parent of x? IOW, can someone be his or her own parent?

4. Dec 9, 2009 #3
    Okay, so am I correct in what to do with reflexivity in this question? It is obviously absurd that x can be the parent of x. Where I am unclear is if that is the question I need to be asking vis-a-vis reflexivity.

5. Dec 9, 2009 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I thought I was pretty clear - the relation P is not reflexive.

6. Dec 9, 2009 #5
    You were pretty clear. I am just at the very end of my proof writing class, and it has me pretty jumpy. Thanks for your help.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook