Understanding Pressure in Water Pump Systems

In summary, the conversation discusses the operation of a water pump and the determination of pressure in a pipeline. The total pressure in the pipe is a constant, and the static and dynamic pressures will change as the cross section of the pipe changes. The pump does not generate pressure, but rather creates volume flux. The pressure in a pipeline can be calculated using the Bernoulli equation, which takes into account dynamic pressure, hydrostatic pressure, and static pressure. A manometer can be used to measure pressure, with the one at Station B measuring total pressure and the one at Station A measuring static pressure.
Micko
Hello people,
I have a question regarding operation of a water pump.
Say, I have a large hot water pump (for purpose of heating) and that pump "pushes" (don't know correct term) water into system. Thers is one big pipeline consist of two pipes (one for sending and one for receiving water).
I wonder if pressure in the pipeline is determined with pipe's cross section or pressure is constant and depends only on pump?
Also what if parallel to this pipeline is connected another on (pump push water into one big pipeline which branches to two pipelines). First pipeline maintan same cross section, but second has half diameter of first pipeline, what pressure will be in first pipeline, and what pressure will be in second?
In other words, will pump keep pressure same in both pipelines no matter if their cross sections are are not same, or pressure will differ?
I know that pressure is Force/cross section, does pump give same force that produce two different pressure, or give same pressure?

Thanks for help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The total pressure in the pipe is a constant (provided viscous losses are negligible). I.e. static, dynamic, and hydrostatic pressures will add up to a constant value (the value of the pump pressure).

Let's assume the pipes are all level, then the static and dynamic pressure will change as the cross section of the pipe changes.

Because mass is conserved, the pipe with smaller cross section will have higher velocity (i.e. higher dynamic pressure), and lower static pressure.

The opposite is true for the larger pipe.

But in both cases the sum of the static and dynamic pressures are equal.

Warning: You are using your definitions very loosely and its going to get you into trouble. I would look online for what static and dynamic pressure are. This Force/cross section is going to lead you to the wrong conclusions.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, I'm aware I didn't use precise definitions and terms. According to the Bernoulli principle:
rho*velocity^2/2+rho*g*h+p = const
which means that sum of dynamic, hydrostatic and static pressure is constant. That's OK and I understand that. If I have manometer sticked into pipe and it shows, for example 15 bar, which pressure is it? Is it static pressure p?
Also I'm not really sure how water pumps are described. Does water pump behave like source of constat water pressure (static) or what?

Thanks

It depends on how you stick the manometer in there. If it is directly into the flow, then it is the stagnation pressure. If it is normal to the flow it is the static pressure.

A pump does work onto the system, so you put in a work term when you do your energy balance using the bernoulli equation.

Last edited:
Micko said:
Also I'm not really sure how water pumps are described. Does water pump behave like source of constat water pressure (static) or what?

Thanks

No, a pump does not generate pressure. A pump generates volume flux. The pressure of the facility is given by the actuators at the end of the pipeline (i.e. hydraulic actuators) or the vessel from what the pump is pumping.

Thanks for replies.
I never learned anything about flow and pipeline theory, and trying to learn something fast.
What is exactly a volume flux, do you mean mass or volumetric flow?
Do you know any good links online where I can learn basic things about fluid dynamcis, especially how to calculate pressure in pipeline.
Actually I'm electrical technician and I'm interesting to make analogy between electric and fluid quantities.

To be sure I understand story about static and dynamic pressure in a fluid, I need to check few things.
Bernoulli equation is this:
rho*vel^2/2+rho*g*h+p = const.

1. rho*vel^2/2 is called dynamic pressure, right?
2. p is static pressure exerted by fluid, right?

Look at the picture in attachment, there is a fluid flow and two manometers.
I assume that B will show grater pressure than manometer A, because of it's position in pipe.
Now if I understood correctly, Pressure that will show manometer B will be total pressure i.e. sum of both static and dynamic pressures (rho*v^2/2+p),
but what pressure will show manometer A? I think it will show static pressure p since this pressure is same in all directions.
Please confirm this, or tell me what I'm doing wrong?
Thank you

Attachments

• Pipeline.jpg
    Pipeline.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 374
I cannot see the attachment, but I think you're right.

Clausius2 said:
I cannot see the attachment, but I think you're right.
Just click on it and it will be opened in another window...

Miko,
You are correct. Station B is measuring total pressure and A is measuring static pressure.

As a note, pressure is not created by a pump. Pressure is a result to the resistance to flow. The pump creates the flow, the piping attached to the pump creates the pressure.

1. What is the purpose of a pump in a scientific experiment?

A pump is used to move fluids from one location to another. In scientific experiments, pumps are often used to control the flow rate of liquids or gases in order to accurately measure and manipulate variables.

2. What is the difference between a centrifugal pump and a positive displacement pump?

A centrifugal pump creates a flow by using a rotating impeller to increase the fluid's velocity, while a positive displacement pump uses mechanical means to move a fixed amount of fluid at a time. Centrifugal pumps are typically used for high flow rates, while positive displacement pumps are better for precise control of low flow rates.

3. How does a pump create pressure?

A pump creates pressure by using mechanical force to transfer energy to a fluid. This energy is then converted into kinetic energy, which increases the speed and pressure of the fluid as it moves through the pump.

4. What factors should be considered when selecting a pump for a specific application?

Some important factors to consider when selecting a pump include the required flow rate, the type of fluid being pumped, the desired pressure, and the operating conditions (such as temperature and viscosity). It is also important to consider the pump's efficiency, maintenance requirements, and cost.

5. Can a pump operate without any external power source?

Yes, there are certain types of pumps that can operate without an external power source, such as hand pumps or hydraulic pumps. These pumps use manual or hydraulic force to move the fluid, rather than relying on electricity or another power source.