Question about quantum erasure experiment

In summary, the conversation discusses a layman's understanding of Quantum Mechanics and the experiment involving polarized sheets, slits, and a measuring screen. The question is raised about the placement of the third sheet and its impact on the pattern. It is also asked if the outcome would change if the sheet is closer to the measuring screen than the wavelength of the particle. The response is that the placement of the third sheet does not make a difference as long as it covers the entire area, but if it is too close to the measuring screen, there may be near-field effects that depend on the setup.
Ruven
I'm not a physicist, but I have a layman understanding of some aspects of Quantum Mechanics. I just watched a video explaining the experiment, where you put two differently polarized sheets behind each slit, but then erase the polarization with third polarizing sheet that's located between the slits and the measuring screen.

And I wondered, does it make a difference on how far away from the slits you put the third sheet? Like, does the pattern get wider or shorter depending on if you put the erasor closer to the slits or closer to the measuring screen?

Also, would the outcome change, if the erasor would be so close to the measuring screen, that the distance between them would be shorter than the wavelength of the "particle"?

Sorry to ask these very basic questions here, but I couldn't find a site where the experiment is not only explained, but where I could also find concrete answers to these questions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ruven said:
does it make a difference on how far away from the slits you put the third sheet?
No, as long as the sheet is large enough (otherwise there might be areas you don't cover).
Ruven said:
Also, would the outcome change, if the erasor would be so close to the measuring screen, that the distance between them would be shorter than the wavelength of the "particle"?
Then you get nasty near-field effects of polarizers, and the answer depends on details of the setup.

I see. Thank you for the explanation. Much appreciated :)

Related to Question about quantum erasure experiment

1. What is a quantum erasure experiment?

A quantum erasure experiment is a thought experiment that demonstrates the concept of quantum entanglement and the role of observation in quantum mechanics. It involves two particles that are entangled, meaning their properties are linked, and a measurement that can reveal information about one particle also affects the other particle.

2. How does a quantum erasure experiment work?

In a quantum erasure experiment, two entangled particles are created and separated. One particle is sent to a detector that can measure its state, while the other particle is sent to a detector that can measure its polarization. The measurements of the two particles are correlated, and when the particle's state is measured, it "collapses" into a definite state, and the other particle's polarization will be affected.

3. What is the significance of the results in a quantum erasure experiment?

The results of a quantum erasure experiment show that the act of observation or measurement can affect the behavior of particles, even if they are separated by a large distance. This is known as the observer effect and is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics.

4. Can quantum erasure experiments be applied to real-world situations?

While quantum erasure experiments are primarily thought experiments, they have practical applications in quantum computing and cryptography. The principles demonstrated in these experiments are also being studied and applied in fields such as quantum teleportation and quantum communication.

5. Are there any criticisms of the quantum erasure experiment?

Some scientists have questioned the validity of the quantum erasure experiment, arguing that it relies on certain assumptions and interpretations of quantum mechanics. Others argue that the results of these experiments can be explained by classical physics rather than quantum mechanics. However, the majority of the scientific community accepts the concept of quantum entanglement and the observer effect demonstrated in these experiments.