Question about resistances please

• Thread starter carlos125
  • Start date
In summary: If you consider what is meant by "equivalent resistance", then it is implied that you are finding what resistor could be placed between a & b and provide the same resistance to current flow as the given set of resistors. In other words, it's implied that there is a potential difference applied across a & b and an equivalent resistor would allow the same current to flow as given set of resistors.This set of resistors cannot be analyzed on the basis of series/parallel analysis, unless you first do Y-Delta transformation.
carlos125

Homework Statement

just a questiion aren't the 1-ohm resistance(upper left) and the 3-ohm resistance in series? . The definition for resitance in series is "Two or more elements are in series if they are cascaded or connected sequentially " ,aren't they sharing the same wire? so why aren't they in series?the wire I'm talking about doesn't separate in two branches too , I'm confused
look:View attachment 54025
thanksssss

Physics news on Phys.org

Yes, they are in series. The 1Ω and 5Ω connected at "b" are also in series.

lewando said:
Yes, they are in series. The 1Ω and 5Ω connected at "b" are also in series.

Hi tahnks for your reply well i don't think they are in series because in the solution they don't use the rules of resistances in seires or parallel to solve the problem .check it out
sdfgf.jpg
. but i need to know why . if someone knows please explain

Thanks for adjusting the problem statement :smile:. When you apply a voltage across a and b or a current through a and b, then there is a branch at a and at b, so they are not in series.

lewando said:
Thanks for adjusting the problem statement :smile:. When you apply a voltage across a and b or a current through a and b, then there is a branch at a and at b, so they are not in series.

actually the original figure doesn't show that the branch at point "a" bifurcates. it only appears in the solution , but i guess i finally get it , i think it's because black dots (nodes) mean that there is always a bifurcation . now everything makes sense , thanks !

I read your original post literally. In my mind, a dot is a dot. To be more clear, show the attached voltage/current source. Then the branches will stand out. Glad you are clear!

lewando said:
I read your original post literally. In my mind, a dot is a dot. To be more clear, show the attached voltage/current source. Then the branches will stand out. Glad you are clear!

haha there is no a voltage source in this problem, the problem just say that we have to prove that equivalent resistance between "a" and "b" is 27/17 ohm.That's it. :smile:

Well something was applied to inject a current, I, into a and outfrom b. Again, resulting in branches, therefore no series resistance.

Last edited:
carlos125 said:
haha there is no a voltage source in this problem, the problem just say that we have to prove that equivalent resistance between "a" and "b" is 27/17 ohm.That's it. :smile:
If you consider what is meant by "equivalent resistance", then it is implied that you are finding what resistor could be placed between a & b and provide the same resistance to current flow as the given set of resistors. In other words, it's implied that there is a potential difference applied across a & b and an equivalent resistor would allow the same current to flow as given set of resistors.

This set of resistors cannot be analyzed on the basis of series/parallel analysis, unless you first do Y-Delta transformation.

The other common way to solve this is with Kirchhoff's circuit laws .

Last edited:

1. What is resistance?

Resistance is a physical property of a material that measures its ability to resist the flow of electrical current.

2. How is resistance measured?

Resistance is measured in ohms (Ω) using a device called a multimeter.

3. What factors affect resistance?

The factors that affect resistance include the type of material, its length, its cross-sectional area, and its temperature.

4. How does temperature affect resistance?

In general, resistance increases as temperature increases. This is due to the increased vibration of atoms in the material, which makes it more difficult for electrons to flow through.

5. What is the relationship between resistance and current?

According to Ohm's law, the relationship between resistance and current is inverse. This means that as resistance increases, current decreases, and vice versa.