1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about Smooth Interpolation

1. Nov 21, 2006 #1
    any thoughts to this question?
    Give an example of a C^oo (C infinity) function f : R->R which is positive on the interval (-1, 1) and 0 elsewhere
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For an indirect approach, you could try constructing one as a limit.

For a more direct approach, figure out what the obstacle is.

You know smooth functions that are zero outside of (-1, 1), and you know smooth functions that are positive inside (-1, 1).

So, what's the problem? You need all of the derivatives to match up. In other words, for your function positive inside of (-1, 1), you need all of its derivatives to be zero at 1 and at -1.

So that's your problem: you need to find a function (other than the zero function) whose derivatives are all zero at some point.
  4. Nov 21, 2006 #3
    just to check if i am on the right track..
    let f(x ) = { e ^ (1 / (x ^ 2 - 1)) if -1 < x < 1
    0 otherwise
    then it is easy to show that
    lim f( x) = 0 (split into 2 cases)
    x->1 or -1

it is also true that
    lim (f(x + h) - f(x)) / h = 0 for x = 1, -1 (show with limit proof)
    then f is C1

so then induction on f being Ck, show it is C(k+1)..(if i did it correctly, it should work out..)
    then by induction, f is Cinf.
  5. Nov 21, 2006 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hrm. I find it very plausible that function will work. Incidentally, I was thinking of using the function

g(x) := \begin{cases}
    0 & x \leq 0 \\
    e^{-1/x^2} & x > 0

as a building block, since we already know it's smooth. Actually, I think you can build your function out of this, so I'm even more convinced.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?