Question about Sound Waves: Faster Than Speed of Sound?

• Thread starter llstanfield
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sound
In summary, a conversation on Tinychat discussed the idea that the source of sound waves must be moving faster than the speed of sound. The speaker used an analogy of snapping a finger as an example. However, this claim was questioned as it does not seem to hold true in all cases, such as producing sound with a slow fist against a table. The example of the Pistol Shrimp was brought up as a case where supersonic movement does produce sound. However, it was noted that many sound sources have parts moving at subsonic speeds and still produce sound waves. The idea of vocal cords as a source of sound was also mentioned.
llstanfield
Okay, so I was listening to someone via tinychat explaining how our current understanding of sound was wrong in some sense. He claimed that the source of the propagation of sound waves HAD to be moving faster than the speed of sound (in air).

One particular analogy he used in order to explain his argument is that the frequency of a rope was directly dependent on the motion of your fist moving the rope in a wave-like manner (which is true). Yet, he extended this analogy with the snap of your finger, in that the interactions between your thumb and ring finger moved faster than the speed of sound in order to produce the sound in the air. Well in air, sound waves 'travel' ~340.2 m/s or something like that...
I had a problem with his claim, because I could slam my fist very slowly against a table much slower than the actual speed of sound, and still produce waves through the air.

He kept claiming that every source producing these waves had to make a sonic boom, because it dictates the frequencies of energy propagated.

I'm not a physicists, but should this claim be taken seriously? Or simply ignored?
Thanks for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
not sure about the snapping of the finger and thumb ... possibly producing a supersonic velocity ?
am sure some one else will confirm that

But I do know of one example of a supersonic snapping ... did watch a video on marine life in the last 12 months
where a shrimp type animal could snap its claw fast enough to produce a supersonic pulse of sound and water to stun its prey
( will have to do a google search and see if I can find the reference)

cheers
Dave

Conducted some brief research, so I think you're talking about the Pistol Shrimp. In this case, I'd think the claws would absolutely be moving faster than the speed of sound (supersonic like you pointed out) in order to produce a temperature hotter than the sun in the water. In fact, the force of the claw is probably moving faster than the sound produced under the water..however I'm not too sure about that.

Yet, for the user I was talking to, who tried to expand this case across ALL effects of the production of sound is extremely extraordinary in my opinion. Based on my conversation with him, I think that HE thought that sound was simply limited to what we hear, as opposed to what sound actually is.

That's interesting! This is why I love physics...so much to learn. Alright, I'll have a look at this article while simultaneously learn more about sound and give a response..thanks for the link!

Yes, you can produce sound by having something move with supersonic speed. The most common example is the noise made by a whip.

But the supersonic speed is not necessary.
Most sound sources have parts moving with subsonic speeds and they do not produce sonic "booms". They just produce acoustic waves.

It's actually pretty easy to estimate the speed of various vibrating membranes and other sound source.
If you have a tuning fork producing a sound of 1000 Hz, the amplitude of the tip is of the order of 1 mm.
The speed will be of the order 2πfA where f is the frequency and A the amplitude.
So for the above values we'll have a speed of about 6 m/s. Not supersonic at all.:smile:

Last edited:
Although sonic booms do produce audible sound waves, sounds can emanate from other sources. I don't think anyone can reasonably claim that a human voice is caused by parts of the anatomy traveling faster than Mach 1.

nasu said:
Yes, you can produce sound by having something move with supersonic speed. The most common example is the noise made by a whip.

But the supersonic speed is not necessary.
Most sound sources have parts moving with subsonic speeds and they do not produce sonic "booms". They just produce acoustic waves.

Just consider your vocal cords . . . . .

1. Can sound waves travel faster than the speed of light?

No, sound waves cannot travel faster than the speed of light. The speed of sound is dependent on the medium it travels through, while the speed of light is a constant in a vacuum.

2. What factors affect the speed of sound?

The speed of sound is affected by the density, elasticity, and temperature of the medium it travels through. In general, sound travels faster in denser and more elastic mediums, and at higher temperatures.

3. Can objects create sound waves faster than the speed of sound?

Yes, objects can create shock waves or sonic booms that exceed the speed of sound. However, these waves are not considered sound waves as they do not propagate through a medium in a continuous manner.

4. How is the speed of sound measured?

The speed of sound is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or feet per second (ft/s). It can be measured using specialized instruments, such as an acoustic interferometer or a speed of sound meter.

5. Why is the speed of sound greater in solids than in gases?

The molecules in solids are closer together and have stronger intermolecular forces, allowing for faster propagation of sound waves. In gases, the molecules are more spread out and have weaker intermolecular forces, leading to a slower speed of sound.