Question about Static Friction

In summary: The object will continue moving at the speed it was going before you applied the static friction. For example, if you have a piece of paper stuck to a wall and you try to pull it off with your hands, you will find that it takes a lot of force to pull it off. The static friction between your hand and the wall is what is stopping you from pulling the paper off. Well, I think they just mean that the static friction force is what you have to overcome to break an object loose to start it sliding. The object will continue moving at the speed it was going before you applied the static friction. For example, if you have a piece of paper stuck to a wall and you try to pull it off
Krasz
Okay, I have been coming across a lot of problems that share something in common; They all ask what is the minimum amount of force required to move the object. Alright, so I've been looking all over the internet and have been finding varying answers from If the Pushing force (P) equals Fsmax, then the object starts moving. Is that true? When you equal Fsmax in force does it change to kinetic friction, hence the motion. Or when it equals Fsmax do you remain at rest? These problems are really annoying me due to the fact I don't know how to set up equations of friction to find the minimal force! Thanks for taking the time to read this! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Krasz said:
Okay, I have been coming across a lot of problems that share something in common; They all ask what is the minimum amount of force required to move the object. Alright, so I've been looking all over the internet and have been finding varying answers from If the Pushing force (P) equals Fsmax, then the object starts moving. Is that true? When you equal Fsmax in force does it change to kinetic friction, hence the motion. Or when it equals Fsmax do you remain at rest? These problems are really annoying me due to the fact I don't know how to set up equations of friction to find the minimal force! Thanks for taking the time to read this! :)

How about you quote us the definitions of the static and dynamic coefficients of friction? And please give us links to where you found the information. Then, if you still have questions after answering your own questions, we will be happy to help.

EDIT -- not trying to sound like a mean guy here. Just wanting to make sure you are using the right search terms in your searches to answer your question, and making sure that you start to get better at answering your own questions using automated Internet search engines. I do it dozens of times a day in my work, and that's what you should be teaching yourself to be able to do...

Krasz said:
Okay, I have been coming across a lot of problems that share something in common; They all ask what is the minimum amount of force required to move the object.
Never have i heard of such an interesting "view" of static friction.

sganesh88 said:
Never have i heard of such an interesting "view" of static friction.

Well, I think they just mean that the static friction force is what you have to overcome to break an object loose to start it sliding.

Related to Question about Static Friction

1. What is static friction?

Static friction is a type of force that occurs between two surfaces that are in contact with each other and are not moving. It is the force that keeps an object at rest from moving when a force is applied to it.

2. How is static friction different from kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents an object from moving, while kinetic friction is the force that acts on an object when it is already in motion. Static friction is typically greater than kinetic friction.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of static friction?

The magnitude of static friction depends on the roughness of the surfaces in contact, the amount of force applied, and the normal force between the two surfaces. A rougher surface and a higher normal force will result in a greater static friction force.

4. How is static friction calculated?

The equation for calculating static friction is Fs = μsN, where Fs is the force of static friction, μs is the coefficient of static friction, and N is the normal force. The coefficient of static friction is a constant value that depends on the materials in contact.

5. How does static friction affect the motion of objects?

Static friction can either prevent an object from moving or cause it to move in a certain direction. If the applied force is less than the maximum static friction force, the object will remain at rest. If the applied force is greater than the maximum static friction force, the object will begin to move in the direction of the applied force.