1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about Static Friction

1. Nov 9, 2009 #1
    Okay, I have been coming across a lot of problems that share something in common; They all ask what is the minimum amount of force required to move the object. Alright, so I've been looking all over the internet and have been finding varying answers from If the Pushing force (P) equals Fsmax, then the object starts moving. Is that true? When you equal Fsmax in force does it change to kinetic friction, hence the motion. Or when it equals Fsmax do you remain at rest? These problems are really annoying me due to the fact I don't know how to set up equations of friction to find the minimal force! Thanks for taking the time to read this! :)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

How about you quote us the definitions of the static and dynamic coefficients of friction? And please give us links to where you found the information. Then, if you still have questions after answering your own questions, we will be happy to help.

EDIT -- not trying to sound like a mean guy here. Just wanting to make sure you are using the right search terms in your searches to answer your question, and making sure that you start to get better at answering your own questions using automated Internet search engines. I do it dozens of times a day in my work, and that's what you should be teaching yourself to be able to do...

4. Nov 10, 2009 #3
    Never have i heard of such an interesting "view" of static friction.

5. Nov 10, 2009 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Well, I think they just mean that the static friction force is what you have to overcome to break an object loose to start it sliding.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook