Question about stimulated Raman emission

In summary, stimulated Raman emission is a type of light scattering that involves the interaction between light and molecules, resulting in the emission of a new photon with a different frequency. It differs from spontaneous Raman scattering in that it requires an external light source. This technique is significant in scientific research as it allows for the study of molecular vibrations and has practical applications in spectroscopy and medical imaging. Additionally, stimulated Raman emission contributes to our understanding of molecular dynamics by providing insights into the behavior and structure of molecules.
ure227922
TL;DR Summary
How is that Stimulated Raman emission relies on damping of the phonon field that is much greater than for that of the optical Stokes field?
I have read a paper states that "Stimulated Raman emission relies on damping of the phonon field that is much greater than for that of the optical Stokes field". But I cannot understand this, since all the materials I read do not state this. Can anyone explain it intuitively?

Physics news on Phys.org
ure227922 said:
I have read a paper
which paper?

Likes vanhees71

1. What is stimulated Raman emission?

Stimulated Raman emission is a phenomenon in which a photon interacts with a molecule, causing the molecule to vibrate and emit a new photon with a different energy and frequency.

2. How does stimulated Raman emission differ from spontaneous Raman scattering?

Spontaneous Raman scattering occurs when a photon interacts with a molecule and the molecule spontaneously emits a photon with a different energy and frequency. In stimulated Raman emission, the molecule is already vibrating and the incoming photon amplifies and stimulates the emission of a new photon.

3. What is the purpose of using stimulated Raman emission in scientific research?

Stimulated Raman emission is used in scientific research to study the vibrational and rotational energy levels of molecules. It can also be used to identify and characterize different molecules in a sample.

4. How is stimulated Raman emission different from fluorescence?

Fluorescence involves the absorption of a photon by a molecule, followed by the emission of a photon with a longer wavelength and lower energy. In stimulated Raman emission, the emitted photon has a different energy and frequency than the absorbed photon, but the wavelength remains the same.

5. What are some practical applications of stimulated Raman emission?

Stimulated Raman emission has various applications in fields such as chemistry, biology, and material science. It is used for chemical analysis, imaging, and biomedical diagnostics. It can also be used in laser technology for producing high-power and high-frequency light sources.