1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about tension and deflection (Mechanics of Material)

1. Feb 12, 2010 #1
    Hello everyone, I have some difficulties to solve this question in my homework.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Picture
    http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/7953/picz.png [Broken]

Rigid bar ACE connected to rod AB, CD, EF which have same material and surface area A. Calculate tension caused by force P in three rods.

2. Relevant equations
    Equation :
    sigma Fy = 0
    sigma M =0
    comparison between deflection in A, C, and E

3. The attempt at a solution
    I try to solve this question but I can't find sufficient equation to solve it. It have 4 equations and I only find 3. Please help me solve this.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2010 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Have you tried summing the moments around different points?

4. Feb 12, 2010 #3
    You haven't shown your working, but have you considered the property of the bar that it is rigid? What does that imply for the displacements of A, C and E?

5. Feb 12, 2010 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

these are your 3 relevant 'equations'
    there are 3 relevant equations (as you note; the last is concerned with geometric compatability) and 3 unknowns (the tensions in each rod). What do you mean by four ?(the x direction is irrelevant here). Note that the bar is rigid, but that the rods can extend or compress (which should have been more clearly stated in the problem). Hint: This problem is best solved by replacing the force P with an equivalent force-couple system at midpoint.

6. Feb 13, 2010 #5
    When I try a few times again, I can solve it at last ! The unknown P I change to one so I have 3 unknowns and 3 equation then revert it back to P. Thanks all^^

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook