Where is the server located for this physics board?

• Thread starter Forestman
  • Start date
In summary, the server containing the actual data for the physics board is located in Dallas, Texas with the IP address 74.86.200.109. The IP address is registered to SoftLayer Technologies and the host is listed as physicsforums.com. Despite concerns about recent attacks, the IP address is easily traceable through public knowledge from whois and the risk of attack is not reduced by removing the information. If removal is necessary, the poster requests a mentor to do so.
Forestman
Where is the sever located that contains the actual data that makes this physics board?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I read somewhere that its in Dallas, but I can't remember where I read that.

Thanks

http://www.ip-adress.com/ip_tracer/74.86.200.109
Code:
IP address:             74.86.200.109
IP country code:        US
IP address country: 	ip address flag United States
IP address state: 	Texas
IP address city:        Dallas
IP postcode: 	        75207
IP address latitude: 	32.7825
IP address longitude: 	-96.8207
ISP of this IP [?]: 	SoftLayer Technologies
Organization: 	        Greg Bernhardt
Host of this IP: [?]: 	physicsforums.com

Assuming there is no proxy being used, that should be fairly accurate for the server.

Considering the recent attack, was publishing this a good idea?

Public knowledge from whois.

I assume you realize the web address simply points to the IP (easily traced as per above)? So it isn't some mystical trace I do.

If it is considered a bad idea, I have no probpem with removing it - but given it's easily found I don't see how it reduces risk of attack.

Just got me jared

Studiot said:
Considering the recent attack, was publishing this a good idea?

It's open information, whether its published here or not it's easy to find.

Last edited:
jarednjames said:
Public knowledge from whois.

I assume you realize the web address simply points to the IP (easily traced as per above)? So it isn't some mystical trace I do.

If it is considered a bad idea, I have no probpem with removing it - but given it's easily found I don't see how it reduces risk of attack.

The time limit is up for removing the data myself, if it's decided removal is required I request a mentor do so.

1. What is the purpose of a scientific board?

A scientific board is a group of experts in a specific field who come together to discuss and evaluate research, provide advice, and make decisions regarding scientific matters.

2. How are members of a scientific board selected?

Members of a scientific board are typically chosen based on their expertise, qualifications, and reputation in the relevant field. They may be nominated by colleagues or selected by the board itself.

3. What is the role of a chairperson on a scientific board?

The chairperson of a scientific board is responsible for leading and organizing meetings, setting agendas, and ensuring that the board's decisions and actions align with its goals and objectives.

4. How often does a scientific board usually meet?

The frequency of meetings for a scientific board can vary, but they typically meet at least once a year. Some boards may meet more frequently, depending on the urgency and volume of issues to be discussed.

5. How does a scientific board make decisions?

Decisions made by a scientific board are usually reached through discussion and consensus among its members. In some cases, a vote may be taken to make a decision, with the majority opinion prevailing.