Question about the derivation of the Ideal Gas Law

In summary, the question posed is about the use of time interval in calculating the force of collision in the derivation of the ideal gas law. The passage explains that the time interval is not used to calculate the change in momentum, but rather to determine the frequency of collisions and the rate of change. The force acting between molecules and walls is not considered in this calculation, as it does not contribute to pressure but only helps retain the speed of molecules. The average force exerted by all molecules over a longer time period is used to determine the pressure.
jackferry
I'm an undergraduate taking a physical chemistry course, and I got to a part in my reading about the derivation of the ideal gas law. The passage is linked below.

http://chem.libretexts.org/Textbook...f_Gases/16.01:_Gases_Behave_Ideally_if_Dilute

My question has to do with the time interval selected. My understanding of calculating the force of a collision makes me think that the time interval delta t should be the time the particle is in contact with the wall, however they use it as the time it takes the particle to come back and collide with the wall again. Why do they use this? Is it some way to average out the force over time?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Good question They are not using it to calculate the change of momentum which is taken as 2mu. They use time to calculate the frequency of collisions to calculate the rate of change. Momentum is a quantity which can be given or taken where as the force is some thing which happens between molecules and walls. In each collision very large force acts between the wall and each molecule but that does not contribute to pressure it just helps in retaining the speed of molecule and doing almost nothing to the box rigidly attached to the earth. are not calculating the force acting on wall by each molecule but the average force exerted by all molecules averaged over a time which is much larger than the collision time which is ideally taken as zero.

Last edited:

What is the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of an ideal gas. It is written as PV = nRT, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature.

What is the derivation of the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law can be derived from the combined gas law, which states that the product of pressure and volume is proportional to the product of temperature and moles. By rearranging the combined gas law and substituting the proportionality constant with the gas constant, we arrive at the Ideal Gas Law.

What are the assumptions of the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law assumes that the gas particles have no volume, there is no intermolecular attraction, and there are no collisions between particles. These assumptions are only valid for ideal gases at low pressures and high temperatures.

What is the significance of the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of ideal gases under different conditions. It is also the basis for many other gas laws and is used in various fields such as chemistry, physics, and engineering.

Can the Ideal Gas Law be applied to real gases?

The Ideal Gas Law is only an approximation for real gases, which have non-zero volumes and experience intermolecular forces. However, at low pressures and high temperatures, real gases behave similarly to ideal gases, and the Ideal Gas Law can still provide a reasonable estimate of their behavior.